Friday, September 12, 2014

Birthday Blooms with Distress

It's amazing to me, now that I've started creating again, just how many reasons I can find to pull out my ink and stamps. I can hardly keep up with all the things that could use a lovely handstamped card!

Tomorrow, my aunt Julie turns...erm... well ladies never tell, right? I won't spill her secret, but I will show off the beautiful (if I do say so myself) card I created to pop in the mailbox tomorrow. 

In searching for challenge blogs, I came across STAMPlorations stamps and immediately fell in love. The beautifully sketched stamps jive so well with my aesthetic, so I joined their stamp club and now will get amazing stamps mailed to me every other month. Just a lil' sumpin' sumpin' to anticipate and keep me inspired.




I received my first set two days ago and have been eagerly anticipating getting to put it to use. I felt delighted when I opened the package and received a handstamped, handwritten card (shared above) from the owner of the company. What an amazing touch!

I unwrapped it and immediately began creating. I wanted something cheerful, which can be hard to accomplish with distress inks, but I think I pulled it off.

First, I created a background using Mustard Seed Distress Ink and one of the daises from the "Bloom Sketches" set. Next, I created a 2-inch panel and cut out a 3-inch half circle in the middle to make room for my daisy. I used Old Paper Distress Ink and a sponge to give it a worn look and embossed over it with gold. Then I squished some ink onto my craft mat, spritzed lightly with water and dabbed until I got the effect I wanted




Next, I embossed the gorgeous daisy with the same gold and fussy cut and glued some of the petals to create a layered effect. I colored the center using Spectrum Noir markers and used mounting tape to lift it. 



Lastly, I added the saying and called it a night! I think it will brighten my aunt's day. 




Since I created my own background, I'm adding it to the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge "Make your own Background".


I'm also entering it into STAMPlorations's current challenge: "Stamps and Markers". I love the challenges on both of these sites because you don't have to use their stamps to play along. (Perfect for my limited budget!)

12 comments:

  1. Hello, Becca,
    thank you for visiting my blog! I like the stamps you used and how you colored them! Flowers are one of my favourite theme, along with butterflies,
    and I always try to learn new techniques. I am sure the card brightened your aunt's day! The colors are perfect!

    Mariangela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing text on a card, Becca, what a fun design! Thanks for sharing it with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Becca! I love the bright colors and fabulous background! Your Aunt will love it! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous design the text with those blooms makes an amazing card :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun to read you joined the Club! Good for you :) -- Love how you used the fun flower! Thanks for joining in with STAMPlorations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your design, Becca! I know your aunt will treasure this gorgeous creation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card. I love the inky background you created!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Becca! I just joined the club, too, and received this sweet stamp set a couple of days ago. And, yes, a beautiful card created by Shery accompanied the package. So much fun!

    I love the card you made for your aunt and I just know she will cherish it! I am now working on the card that will be sent to you for this month's CCC; hope you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for coming to see me, Becca, so I could return the flavor and meet you, too! You have created a fantastic card for your Aunt Julie, which I bet she will treasure forever! You are going to love all the Stamplorations products!! If you use something else virginal before the 24th, come follow me and link up with my NBUS Challenge, if you like!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous card Becca. Love the yellow embossing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becca congrats on being top Picks at Stamplorations challenge yeah I know you made lovely cards my dear you deserve it...hugs...Monika

    ReplyDelete