Thursday, October 8, 2015

Cards for Causes - Hop to Stop and Breast Cancer Awareness

So, one week ago I posted the link-up for the Hop to Stop and I have been BLOWN AWAY by the amazing support of the crafty world. Seriously, you all are SO beyond amazing.

I've read through every linkup, often laughing (even though domestic violence is a serious subject) and even more often while tearing up. It's been absolutely amazing to see people raising their voices and talents to bring awareness to just how many men and women have suffered at the hands of an abusive partner. 

There have been so many GORGEOUS designs, and I wanted to share a couple stories with you that have touched me. I am not sharing stories to sensationalize this issue, but rather to show you that YOU ARE NOT ALONE. We are not alone in our darkness. Through community, there is hope and light.

Jessi Fogan of One Crafty Mama
I "met" Jessi a year ago on a very similar post that I made for Domestic Violence Awareness month. She reached out to me and we've been fast friends ever since. She shared her story then, and it's definitely worth the read.



"He was excellent at belittling me and making me feel unworthy. He simultaneously made me feel that I was unlovable - and also that I was a slut. The emotional abuse was constant. The physical abuse began with a bang".


Jade Morrison of Crafts by Jade
Jade shared bits of her story on her blog, and I couldn't help but to have my heart reach out to her. She also made two very beautiful, emotion-filled creations. One about her childhood, and one about the woman she is now.

 

"I hear the crackle of his belt and the screams my mother makes. She is suddenly quiet... then I hear his footsteps coming towards my door, nowhere to go and nowhere to hide..."

Dr. Sonia SV

Sometimes the blog posts I read through weren't relating to personal experiences of domestic violence, but secondhand experiences. I thought Dr. Sonia's account was so powerful. 


"Some months back I got a new receptionist for my clinic. She appeared lazy and disinterested in her work, she wouldn't hear the phone ring and would walk slowly and lazily even though she was healthy and young. She left after a forth-night and afterwards we came to know why she had been so distracted... the poor lady had an alcoholic husband who would regularly beat her up. Appearances can be so deceptive..."

--------------------
I wish I could post ALL of the accounts that touch me right here, but I have a couple of my own creations to share, too! But I will be sharing more as this week goes along because there was some powerful art and POWERFUL comments!

POWERFUL My first card is another purple creation for the Hop to Stop - which, by the way - you have one full week left to link up! There are over $500 in sponsored prizes, and I'd LOVE to see what you make.

 Click >>HERE<< or on the image below to link up!

So my card features a bunch a purple goodness and it will be donated to my local domestic violence agency - Community Violence Intervention Center because the Hop to Stop is doing a card drive for their clients.

I wanted to keep it a simple sentiment so I colored a pretty flower and used some gorgeous papers and lovely ribbon to finish it off. 


Stamps: STAMPlorations Blooming Buds by Dee's Artsy Impressions, STAMPlorations Bloom Sketches,
Paper: DCWV Magnolia Way Paper Stack, Paper Temptress Laser Gold Glossy Lustre
Ribbon: Paper Temptress Cappuccino Satin with Gold Edges
Overall, I love how elegant it turned out! 
It was inspired by one of my favorite challenge - aptly named The Challenge. It is back from summer hiatus, but due to my move I haven't gotten a chance to play along, so woohoo! And I'm also playing along with Through the Craftroom Door -Anything Goes Challenge
 

And purple isn't the only color lighting up the web right now, October is also Breast Cancer Awareness month. I don't have personal experience with breast cancer, but it has affected friends and coworkers. So I'm happy to help spread awareness for another worthy cause. 


I love the dresses from the STAMPlorations PartyDresses Bee's Knees set. I tried to get at the spirit of being different and being proud of those differences, as many women who've undergone breast cancer treatment and mastectomies have experienced. 

There are a few challenges that are going PINK in honor of the month and I'd like to support Words 2 Scrap By's - Fight like a Girl challenge, 613 Avenue Create - ATG with Pink option, Craft Rocket Challenge - Pink, D.L. Art - Pink Linky Party

I'm also linking it up to Virginia's View - All things Colored



Whew! What a ridiculously long post! Before I go, I'd like to say a 
HUGE THANK YOU
to those of you who've followed my blog in the last week. 
Usually I try to call people out by name, but with 32 of you, I don't think it's possible. Just know that I appreciate all of you! 

52 comments:

  1. Both of these are great but the purple and gold....yum! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, Becca. What an amazing hop. Your card is lovely. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Becca..this post is so touching...!! Thanks for sharing what our friends have gone through..this shows not only that we are not alone in all this but also that this IS actually so common yet neglected cause in our world!
    Those 2 cards of yours are really REALLY gorgeous..My MIL suffered from breast cancer and she is no more in this world today! But I am so so proud of her because she was one great fighter...we all fought against cancer bravely! Thanks for creating awareness ...it means a lot! :)
    Suchi xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post. My heart goes out to people who had to go through abuse and violence :(.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post, and I am heading over to read the linked blogs - Love your card too, Becca
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great Becca, I just love the pink dress among the plain ones and to be brave what a great sentiment!!! Short sweet and to the point.Thank you for joining the Pinky Linky Party- for Breast Cancer Awareness. Have a blessed day
    DIANA L.
    dianamlarson.blogspot.com
    Linky Pinky Party

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your floral card is stunning Becca and so glad your hop is a grand success...I am so touched you featured my story and it made ny heart heavy reading the other ladies stories...you are so brave to host this hop
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, touching post Becca!!!
    THANK YOU for everything that you are doing towards BOTH important causes!!!
    LOVE BOTH, LOVE the flower & design of hello, it's a DELIGHT, LOVE your BOLD & BEAUTIFUL be brave card too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulousness all around! So much thought and emotion, very touching Hop and amazing art along the way! Awesome job by all of you!~kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a post, Becca. Some great purple cards showing up around blogland. Way to go. Love the BG on today's card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. eeep <3
    Your cards are stunning, girly. I wanna wear the pink floofy dress! It'll go with my hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Thank you for highlighting some of the stories! My heart goes out to all of you!
    My card is done, just need to write a blog post!
    Your cards are awesome! The first one elegant, the second one powerful! Great coloring, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for bringing this issue to the forefront. DV is such a silent and lonely issue that snuff out all life! Your cards are beautiful, and so appropriate for both causes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the tutu it speaks volumes . thank you for sharing at Craft rocket Challenges...Lis DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. TOUCHED !!

    Wonderful cards Becca !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sponsoring such a great hop this week! You have been inspiring and positive!
    Take care!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  17. outstanding work becca! I love the purple with gold it is so delightful! Thank you for all the stories and the recap

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a touching post, Becca. Love all that elegant gold with the purple! And the tutu is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for bringing this great cause to light, Becca. I've been Blessed as I have no experience with domestic violence and don't know anyone who has. But my prayers go out to all those who are suffering, that they find a way to reach out for help. Love your beautiful cards. The first card is beautiful and so very elegant. The second one is fun and portrays a strong message. I have a very dear friend, more like a sister, who is a breast cancer survivor and although living on the other side of the world, I have an idea of what she went through. My prayers for God's healing power to touch all those who are affected by this illness. Once again, Becca, thank you for bringing these great causes to light!
    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Lena

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful post, wonderful blog hop, wonderful cards - wonderful you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post.....thank you to those brave girls for sharing......not an easy thing to talk about....& your card really is Classy with a Capital C!!! And of course, the Breast Cancer awareness one is beyond beautiful - great idea, loving that frou frou gal proud in her pink:):) Sorry. Lots of alliteration unwittingly popped up there......

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both of your cards are really special to different circumstances...the gold and purple one is so elegant, and your second card really stands out with the message.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely stunning makes, Becca! Have a great weekend.
    hugs, Asha

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such an amazing creations always! The pop of purple with gold is so refreshing and i love that other one too! You really rock! And your post is so touched!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, Becca, your cards are stunning! The purple and gold are gorgeous! Your BCA card is beautiful too - what a great image! It's hard to read those quotes from your featured designers today. Thanks again for the this hop.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Becca, your card is just simply stunning - the contrast with the brilliant purple and the zesty gold is just fabulous! What a stunner!
    Your post made my heart swell with all that you are doing ♥ This is often a (silent) and heartbreaking issue for so many but what a wonderful wake up call to see others posting and sharing and just bringing awareness even in a small way. Thank you - again! Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Two gorgeous cards Becca and two great causes. So pleased your Hop to Stop has been such a success :) Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Becca, your cards are gorgeous! The gold and purple are stunning and the flower is so beautifully colored! Thank you for joining us at The Challenge. XX

    ReplyDelete
  29. Two great cards. Two great causes. Glad to be supporting your fun hop. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow I am telling you that I am so happy I popped into your blog to see the elegant card you shared at The Challenge. Such a wonderful post and so many beautiful creations. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Becca, How wonderful of you to highlight the stories, struggles, and victories of these brave, powerful women. Love your BCA card -- just gorgeous! So glad you joined us at Words 2 Scrap By for our fight-like-a-girl challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. There are so many ways to fight like a girl - thank you for the reminder. We are so happy you shared with us at Words 2 Scrap By.

    ReplyDelete
  33. First, gorgeous card! So happy that you are having such a wonderful response. Second, chilling. Some of these stories are literally chilling. My extended family has no idea, the amount of abuse that went on in our home. Not to mention the small things, like my father backhanding my 3 yr old brother for chewing with his mouth open. I mean, HARD! Or slamming me against the wall because I was slouching and my shoulders weren't straight and upright. That's what an alcoholic does. At least that's what the one in our family did. Parents fighting in the middle of the night, my mother being beaten, getting her nose broken.... and the night that stands out, was when I pretended to be asleep when my father sat on my bedside and cried, telling me goodbye. That was the last I saw of him for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Becca, so many out there are brave to share their stories in your successful hop and hopefully this will continue again in the future to raise more awareness amongst men! Your purple card is simply stunning and so is your pink card. Thank you for joining Anything Goes challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Come and play again next time Becca. Have fun creating :)
    Hugs&Smiles,
    Asmah
    TTCRD DT
    Qinaahana Arts and Crafts {My Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my word...Your BCA card is beyond wonderful!!!! What's not to love about it!?! Thanks for playing along at W2SB and for getting the word out about DV also. You ROCK!!! hugs, :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful cards, Becca! I love the purple and gold flower card--yes, it is VERY elegant!
    Take Care!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  37. wooww wooow and woow Becca
    I will read the story but first I want to tell your card is FUNTASTIC
    my fav one is the second one
    so cool that you only colored the one in pink
    wooww Becca
    hey I miss your visit sweety
    are you okay..hope you have some minutes for my Blog
    it always a happiness to see your face there and your encouragement really means to me
    Hugs and see you around Becca
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  38. Classy & elegant card, Becca! I'm hoping to join the hop for such an important cause. I've never forgotten your post last year & how inspiring it was to hear what you'd been through & just see you now! Creative & beautiful card for BCA month--so glad you've joined us at W2SB!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great cards Becca! I love the purple and gold together and you did a fab job coloring! I love your pink dress card! I posted a card today thanking you for hosting the hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Those 2 cards of the fairies are just...take my breath away. It really shows what she experienced and where she is now. How wonderful to showcase this and your cards are great. I like that pink outfit amongst a sea of black

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow girl, you are on a roll now!! Look at all of these amazing designs!! Can't pick at fave at all!! But I have to say that I adore your lovely "Be Brave" design! Fun take on the pink too! :) So happy to see you playing in the new challenge! Thanks for sharing your creation with us at Craft Rocket Challenges! Hope you will join us next time! Hugs & Smiles - *Vicki*-DT member

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your card is gorgeous. Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. We are looking forward to seeing you again in the next challenge.
    Sara
    TTCRD DT
    FP3 {My Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  43. Two stunning cards Becca! I love the flower and the background on your first card and the second one is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful card, very pretty coloring and great image.
    Thanks for playing along over at DL.ART!

    Hugs, Lori m
    littlemscraftedmind.blogspot.com
    DL.ART DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you for sharing your fabulous card with us this fortnight. Lisa DT Craft Rocket Challenges

    ReplyDelete
  46. love love love the dress card, thanks for playing along with Craft Rocket!

    ReplyDelete
  47. These cards are beautiful inspirations and sparks of light in times that are so dark. I work at the Community Violence Intervention Center where the cards were donated, and we cannot wait to share them with clients. I will report back once distribution has started. Thank you to everyone involved. Your art is making a difference for many.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Becca, I'm thrilled to let you know that your BCA card was chosen as the winner of our Fight-Like-a-Girl Challenge at Words 2 Scrap By! When you have a chance, e-mail me at cards.by.sybrina@gmail.com for prize info. :)

    ReplyDelete