I decided to go with lots of texture for this card due to 3 primary reasons -
Numero Uno - STAMPlorations's new challenge is up and it's stamps and texture OR use this sketch:
Numero Dos: Simon Says Stamp wants us to get Touchy Feely and get all textural for their Wednesday challenge.
Numero Tres: My gal, Jenn Shurkus, had an awesome tutorial up on her blog with some cool ways to add texture to your backgrounds, and so I did a little bit of a riff on that idea. She's always inspiring me with great things, so if you haven't checked out her blog you totally should.
But back to the tutorial!
Here's the easy rundown
(in a handy-dandy very Pinnable *wink *wink graphic):
1. Add some texture paste to a background. I left some areas thicker than others to add more dimension.
2. I used the Tribal Triangles ARTplorations stencil, spritzed it with water (so it didn't stick to the texture paste) and then pressed it into the texture paste. Then I heat dried.
3. Spritz with your fav Distress Spray Stains. I did some sprays farther away to make a mist, and some sprays close up so that it dripped and concentrated color. Then I heat dried.
4. I replaced the stencil into the areas I'd already pressed it into and chose some random triangles to highlight with Blank Canvas white acrylic paint.
5. I shouted VOILA! and admired my handiwork.
After I made the background, I wasn't quite sure how to finish it off, and then I thought about the T-Rex from my Big Grins by Becca Cruger Dino Things stamp set and had another voila! moment.
He's PERFECT for this grungy backround! I stamped a sentiment from the same set, colored him in, gave him googly eyes, and ended it all by laughing.
Love it! :)
I'm also going to send this guy over to play along in:
Seize the Birthday - Anything Goes Birthday
Crafty Gals Corner - All about the Boys
Don't forget to go play along at STAMPlorations! Make sure you check out what the rest of the designers made and spark your inspiration engines!
Thanks for popping by!