Sunday, January 1, 2017

Mixed Media Card Challenge - Change

Sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiifffffffffffffffffffffffff*
Ahhh do you smell that?
That my friends is the smell of 2017 air. The smell of fresh new beginnings. The smell of CHANGE!



Speaking of change, that's the theme for our very first challenge at the Mixed Media Card Challenge for 2017.

When reflecting on what I could do with the theme change, many things came up  - things like new chapters in life, changing colors, changing seasons... What I decided to do was start scrolling through my stamps to see if there were ones that inspired a mixed media piece about changing.

In doing so, I found a NBUS beautiful sentiment from Unity Stamp Co, and a only-used-once Stenciled Women by Dina Wakely stencil. Combined, I felt like the two really spoke to "change".

ken_oliver_colorburst_powder_for_cardmaking_technique

I also thought I could incorporate "change" into my mediums by using Ken Oliver ColorBurst watercolor crystals. I absolutely ADOOOOOORE these things, because you just sprinkle some onto your paper, spritz with water, and you get these vibrant color washes that are totally unique and stunning every time.

creating_mixed_media_backgrounds


Next, I stamped some various shapes across my background in coordinating colors to create more dimension.

tim_holtz_distress_paints_through_stencils

I used some Abandoned Coral Distress Paint to paint through the STAMPlorations Dots All Over Stencil.

using_stencils_and_masks_for_cards


Next, I sponged through the Dina Wakely stencil to create my focal image. 



mixed_media_card_with_dina_wakely_stencil_distress_paint_tim_holtz_distress_inks_unity_stamp_ken_oliver_colorburst_crystals

12 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for the tutorial! I have to try this, I love the way it turned out! Happy 2017 to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year!! Love this project and the sentiment is awesome :)
    Cheers
    preety

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is wonedrful!
    Wish you happy, healthy and creative New Year !
    hugs, Ŧĭƙĭ
    ≽ܫ≼

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 2017 Becca!!! Your mixed media card is just stunning! Great use of stencil and colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sis a great card and I love the sentiment. I too love these colour bursts...so much fun! I have said to my best friend that i feel it will be a yea of change and even if we are resistant to it, usually change is good or at least a learning experience. Happy New Year and may you enjoy card making, journal making, joy and health.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful composition Becca - love the finished piece
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy new year Becca. Love this make. It's so eye catchigly gorgeous. Here's to lots of creativity in 2017 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year, sweet Becca! Trying to do more than pop in and drool -- I'm actually leaving a comment, lol!! What a fabulous sentiment. You've created a masterpiece here. Your colors, composition, and images are bright and thought provoking. Perfect card to start out 2017. It's fantastic! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy new year, Becca!! I hope 2017 brings amazing things for you!! Your card is stunning!! The colors are so gorgeous!! Creative and fabulous my friend!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a funky fun artistic design Becca, awesome card!! Happy New year sweet friend. Looking forward to more masterpieces from you in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year friend! This is so awesome! I love everything about it and how you've "changed" it up too!! Wishing you lots of happiness and creativity in 2017! HUGS

    ReplyDelete