Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Mixed Media Card Challenge - Trees

It is officially the end of winter!! Welp, meteorological winter anyhow... I wish Mother Nature would get on board because yesterday it was -18 degrees here in North Dakota. Sigh*

But at least I can pretend everything is green and delightful, right?! If I can't grow trees and green things in my back yard, at least I can color them on a card! Wooo! 


coloring_with_gelatos_cardmaking

That's because over at the Mixed Media Card Challenge our theme o' the month is TREES with the option of birds. 



I started out thinking I'd make this a bright, happy summery card... and you may have noticed that didn't work out so well for me. 


How_to_color_with_gelatos_for_card_tutorial


It's still bright and happy, mind you, but as soon as I scribbled on some Gelatos, I thought it looked more like night time than a summery day. And so, a plan was born! 

In addition to the Mixed Media Card Challenge, I wanted to play along with Ms. Darnell-the-Fantastic's NBUS (Never-Been-Used-Schtuff) challenge


I have used these adorable houses from Shirley Bampton's Bee's Knees - Houses stamp set before, but I'd purchased the accessory pack with cute trees and mailboxes and roads and they've just been sitting about unused for months! Thanks for the impetus, Darnell!

Once I'd blended the gelatos with my fingers, I used the Big Bang Sci-Fi Screening (stencil) from Winnie and Walter along with a baby wipe to pick up some of the gelatos.  


Unique_techniques_for_card_making

When I was satisfied, I repositioned the stencil and added some texture paste to give my night sky some texture. I also changed the house color to be more purpley because I wasn't totally in love with how the pink was meshing with my colors.

Then I added some finishing touches - graphic washi tape and a stripey chipboard sentiment - which makes it perfect for the Allsorts challenge of "Sentiment in Focus".


mixed_media_card_tutorial

Et voila! This little number is going to go to a friend who is buying a house tomorrow. Awww! :) 



32 comments:

  1. This card is so perfect for a friend who is going to move houses! Love the grungy stamps and style! Thanks for your dropping by and comment on my AJ-page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Becca! Love this funky cool design. The stars and letters are amazing! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cozy little house scene Becca! love the white pasted stars, your vibrant colors and fun striped sentiment!! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous, Becca!! I love the scene you've created!! The colors are fabulous!! The stars are such a perfect touch!! This will be adored by the recipient!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to send it to a new home owner. I'm sure they'll be delighted. Personally, I'm glad you went with the night sky...think it makes your little house and scenery POP! By the way, it is 75 degrees here today, just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous sky in your mixed media, love the texture of the stars and your colouring with gelatos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is utterly divine! I love that night sky, Becca! It's funky, it's grungy and just plain awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bright and gorgeous! Love it! You have a way with Gelatos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a stunner Becca - and thanks for talking us through you construction :-)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is quite inventive because you made this different from your original concept. I love the stars and the bottom part which all meshes well together

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is vibrant and happy Becca, love the starry night sky!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the use of gelatos, bright and cheerful Home and those pretty stars! Here at our side of the world, the temp doesn't even drop below 5 degrees and go as high as 48 degrees in summer! And we really wish for snow here! :)
    Suchi xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! It is 48 degree celsius here meaning around 118F! :( This is the worst! :P

      Delete
  13. Great stamping, inking and vibrant colours Becca, many thanks for joining us at Allsorts challenge this week.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE seeing the 'progression' of your card.... it turned out brilliantly - really adore the stars. Brightens that sky up 'just so'..... & honestly, you can have our 30C temps here....you really can! Soooo glad autumn is here with the hope of cooler days, LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous card Becca! It almost looks like a painting. I know this is not a popular opinion but I adore winter and I'm almost a little somber when it goes. I live in SE Missouri and it gets almost downright swampy here starting in mid-spring and almost all the way through fall. I hate it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous scene you've created here Becca!! Wonderful use of the mixed media here!! :) HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm mesmerized by your starry sky. It's fabulous. And did your house buy work out??? Hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely night sky you've got there, Becca!!!! And I love the cute house and lovely trees!!! It turned out wonderfully with the beautiful night scene!!! What a lovely card for your friend!!!
    Have a great day!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this inky, starry night scene you created! Fantabulous card!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your creative process is always fascinating for me to watch, Becca, as I usually make 10-minute cards! I can't even imagine doing all that, but I sure do love gazing at the finished masterpiece!! Thank you so much for kindly supporting my 6th NBUS challenge!! (I am sorry about the impetus. I noticed just yesterday at the drugstore that there is an ointment you can get for it. xxoo) Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very creative indeed! Thank you so much for playing along with us at Allsorts and good luck in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely card, great scene.
    Thank you for sharing at Allsorts 'Sentiment as Focus' Challenge and good luck x Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  23. So beautiful...love the added texture of stars...if I got this for my new home I'd frame it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brilliant card ! Love those stars, I'm glad Spring is here x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your night scene & how perfect to say congratulations for a new home! Love this, Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow Becca, I saw this card in the gallery over at NBUS and my mouth dropped open! Thanks for the tutorial, there are techniques here I've never tried. I'm not great at anything mixed media, but I'd love to give something like this a try. Your project is stunning, I'm just going to stare at a while, lol!

    ReplyDelete