Wednesday, March 23, 2016

A Tale of Two Coffee Cards - Vintage vs. Modern

Last night I buckled down in my craft room and had a coffee card making FRENZY. Ok, ok, I really only made two cards, but I knocked them out so quickly that I'm going to stick with the frenzy.

It just seemed like whatever stamp I pulled out spoke to me and said "oooo la la" (they were apparently French) "this is exactly what you should do with me". I probably should have stayed and crafted more but my craft studio is still at my old house until the craft studio at my new place gets finished. And it's scary crafting all alone in the dark in a big empty house!

Anywho - you're here for the cards, and not my blabbering - RIGHT?!

no_line_watercolor_stamping_vintage_card

My first design is nothing but a study in vintage frillery (it's a word if I say it is). STAMPlorations just released a card for all of you tea lovers out there called Always Tea Time and it's so luscious! I decided to try out a no-line watercoloring technique. 


I stamped the image using Tattered Rose Distress Ink and then smudged the Tattered Rose and Vintage Photo DIs onto my craft mat and used them to watercolor. I love how this turned out - all antiquey and gorgeous. 

vintage_stamped_homemade_card


I piled on some of my grandma's vintage lace, along with some Martha Stewart Crafts metal corners. 
My card was really inspired by this lovely card from Tracey McNeely over at Muse Challenge:


I know some of you might be scratching your heads thinking - huh? Hers is so Clean and Simple, how could it possibly be inspired by that. The truth is, I rarely do CAS anything... but I was so inspired by the watercoloring and the soft pinks and greens. I saw Tracey's card and just fell in LOVE! <3  And this is what happened when I tried to duplicate something similar haha!! I started with a simple watercolored image, but then I kept adding layers and layers because... my stupid brain.


I'm also sending this one over to play along with Vintage Stamping Challenges - Lots of Layers 



----------------------------------------------

And NOW for something completely different. Last Coffee Lover's Blog Hop I won an adorable set called I LOVE Coffee from Uniko Studio. 

I also saw this funky cool, bright image from The Challenge this week:



I loved the bright colors mixed with the black and white. Those bold pink blooms just stole my heart.

using_micron_pen_to_embellish_cards

I stamped the coffee mug and then just decided to start doodling. I used a Micron pen to make a sketchy frame and then started writing coffee over and over again in a scrawling script. 

funky_bright_stamped_coffee_card


BLAM! This is what happened! I colored the stamp using one of my brightest pink Spectrum Noir Markers (BP5) and did the same for the sentiment. Then I outlined both stamped things using my black pen. 

pop_art_coffee_card_stamping

A little bit more doodling, a couple of strips of washi tape and I was set! 
Woot!

I'm also sending this one over to Simon Says Stamp - Food or Drink challenge

Last, but not least, these are both going over to the Spring Coffee Lovers Blog Hop

12661786_10208877635328742_1011373880191829209_n 
Thanks for popping by, my friends! :) Wishing you the best Tuesday you ever had! 

preview-SheryRuss_AlwaysTeaTime

 PSsssst - if you like the Always Tea Time set, It's currently on sale up at the STAMPlorations shop for 15% off using code SPRINGCLBH - in fact, EVERYTHING in the store is 15% off with that code. 

52 comments:

  1. colors are gorgeous on your coffee card - and even if my style and yours are at the opposite end of the spectrum i just love seeing what you create and just reading you fun blog! happy easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the vintage look...beautiful with all the embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. OMG. OMG. You're a coffee and tea Diva. Wow! This no-line coloring it is your forte. Awesomeness. The second card sent me over the moon. Your "doodling" is unbelievable, as is your handwriting. The card sings...just plain sings. (As an aside: Listen, educators out there, if you stop teaching cursive in schools, people will never be able to make these fabulous cards.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay, these are both fabulous! 1. love the vintage look and the lace and metal corners and the no-line watercoloring of the first 2. the second is so fun and contemporary with the color and your amazing doodling and writing! 3. not many people can rock both styles, but you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm... no words right now, Becca. Only big fuzzy hearts for that amazing shabby tea card. And that doodled coffee script background? FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have rightly pointed one is classic and one is modern. Good take on the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both stunning in their own different way. Love the vintage chic card ... well, I'm a girly girl and that's what I like. And the 2nd, I just love the bold pink with the black - it just pops of pretty girly feminine color! In love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great cards. But I LOVE the doodled card. It's fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great group of cards and love the frillery on the first one. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lovely coloring on your first card, and your handmade background on the second is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becca, hope you are feeling better! Theses two cards couldn't be more different style-wise...and yet both are simply gorgeous. I have a bit of a super crush on your first one. It's just all things lovely and gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both your cards are gorgeous in two completely different ways. I am a CAS Stamper so I really admire your fru fru card

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow wow wow!!!!!Becca, you are a true volcano!! :D Such a fabulous couple of card!!
    I'm one of those that have scratched the heads thinking-huh?...for the CASEing of the firts card :D ...But I have read your explanation and I think that you are a super-creative lady!!
    I understand so well, I too can't do without add and add... but your talent is breathtaking!! Love really so much any detail of this vintage and sweet card! Adorable!
    Love very much also your idea of doodling all around a stamp to cover a geometric area, what a clever inspiration! Thank for sharing! The word coffee is just perfect for the mug!
    I pinned both your cards
    https://it.pinterest.com/pin/534802524482072187/
    https://it.pinterest.com/pin/534802524482072196/

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE the no-line watercolor technique you used on your gorgeous card :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, such great cards, one vintage looking with many embellishments and the other so moders and I love the writing! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm not head scratching Becca. The whole concept of being inspired is how does the inspiration move you. While I cannot break free from CAS, you cannot break into it. I love where you started and then added layers upon layers and made it your own. I think it is a gorgeous Becca card--LOVE and I love that I was able to move you. :) Thank you so much for sharing with us at Muse this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your vintage card is so nice. It looks like a setting for a tea party with all the fancy finger foods! I love your second card as you have handwritten the coffee and it more personalized. I know whom ever receives it will get a piece of your personal art...no hinting here~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Two simply beautiful cards! I love your antique looking card, so beautiful and elegant and your sweet drawing, you are amazing. Thank you so much for playing along with us at The Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, Becca! I consider anything I do after dark to be a bonus, but these two cards are awesome! But you need to finish moving that craft room. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This beautifully, heavily embellished style is something I can't even begin to imagine - all your elements work so well together and I can clearly see how you were inspired! So glad you joined us at Muse this week, Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What masterpieces Becca - so different, but both absolutely adorable.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shabby chic, vintage, romantic, dreamy...somebody stop me!! LOVE the watercolored teacup and saucer, so PRETTY!! Your second card is funky and modern fun. Terrific handwritten background!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! These are two beeeeautiful cards! Love the vintagey and yes... I know your head... I think your head and my head are good friends.. because I also tried a clean and simple card this morning and well... not so much. Yours is gorgeous... I just love how you stamped and colored the teacup image and of course everything else that's with it.. LOVE!! Also, the doodling masterpiece... yes... that's what it is... I'd buy that stamp! Also, thanks so much for the oh so awesome compliment today... it literally made my day... it popped up on my phone and I read it and in the middle of the worst day ever, I giggled and smiled... it was the best part of my day... so thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Both cards are great! I love the first and can see how you were inspired with the colours. I love the background and the coffee cup is so romantic looking. The second card is just so nice and sharp looking. I could nev write those words as nice as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, girl! I am in love with your doodling and I am so happy you were inspired. Both cards are amazing...your watercolouring is fabulous too! Well done! xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful card, Becca, love all the bits and pieces! Happy Thursday and Happy Hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad your feeling healthy enough to craft ! Such a lovely vintage coffee card..loved the effect of no ine coloring and second one is my favorite..handwritten bg ,CAs n trendy !

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW - your CREATIVE FRENZY has rewarded you with AWESOME cards Becca!!!
    LOVE EVERYTHING about your GORGEOUS teacup card, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!!!
    LOVE your ELEGANT and DELICATELY INKY floral card too!!!
    PS - I have already commented on your BOLD & BEAUTFUL card (3rd one) via Pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. fabulous Becca. Love that you can do both genre so well

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOVE the vintage look to this awesome card, Becca - simply gorgeous:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Stunning inspiration x Love the vintage style of the first one and had a chuckle how it started off with the CAS inspiration. Gorgeous colouring on the tea cup. Fun and vibrant second card. Thank you for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  32. These cards are absolutely fantastic! Love the sweet vintage look of the first one and the handwritten background on the second one is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hard to decide for me- modern or vintage! :P Very pretty vintage card with the no line water coloring and loved the sentiment in second one! :)
    Suchi xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Black white and pink are an incredible palette! Wondrerful card! thanks for joining us this week on Simon Says Monday Challenge Blog Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  35. I REALLY need to try the no line watercoloring...your card is awesome. Soooo pretty and lovely.
    Your second card....BAM! I love it...like tons!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fantastic projects. I love how you snugged the ink on the tea cup. It looks like a sketch and not a stamp. And it is cool that you used your own writing on the background of your second card. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  37. Totally amazing cards ! Live them both x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yowza! I would flip out if I got that gorgeous vintage card in the mail! Love the colors on your CAS card. And your handwritten background is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. What beautiful cards! I really love the sketchy coffee card!! Thanks so much for joining us at The Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Gorgeous cards, I love the stamps you've used! Thanks so much for joining us at Flonzcraft Vintage Stamping Challenges this time
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Lovely cards - you did a fab job! love them

    ReplyDelete
  42. Yes definitely antiquey and GORGEOUS! Love the black "photo corners". :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great cards! You go, girl! Love the vintage appeal of the first, and your handwriting on the second is perfection! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at The Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Such vintage prettiness, Becca ... and fabulous doodling ... black and white with a pop of vibrant colour is always gorgeous ... as this beauty is! Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Challenge! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. wowzers! you rock! Totally love the coffee background you made and that first card with the watercoloring is out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wowzers! That tea watercolor design is splendid and captured my attention from go! Awesome sauce effect and details. Your other card is so vibrant and pops! Stupendious! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh, I love that first card with the lovely vintage look and all the pretty little flowers, Becca!!!! And the coffee card - so fun - love the bringt pink and the doodling looks awesome!!! Really great!!!!
    Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Once again two stunning yet completely opposite cards. I have to admit I've fallen in love with the first because your stamped image doesn't look stamped and the vintage feel and look is just awesome! Both are great but the tea card is my fave Karen xx

    ReplyDelete