Sunday, October 23, 2016

I Bought My First Set of Ken Oliver Colorburst Watercolor Crystals!

I don't know if you all may have deduced this from the title...but I bought my first set of Ken Oliver Colorburst watercolor crystals! I have to tell you that I have struggled against the urge to buy these for sooooo long mainly because I KNEW I'd need them in every color once I bought a single bottle. 

embossed_resist_colorburst_watercolor

You guys... I think I'm in love. 

And now 


Sighhhhhh* 

Well anyhow, I can tell you what I did to make my pretty card.

I began by embossing the swirly flowers from the Verve Poppy Birthday stamp set. I definitely had to experiment with the Colorbursts in order to get it right. After some playing around, I found out that if you put the crystals on first and spread them around, it's MUCH easier that spritzing the paper with water and THEN sprinkling the color.

ken_oliver_colorburst_watercolor_stamped_happy_birthday_card


See that back panel? That was a direct result of trying to spray THEN sprinkle because I used way too much water and WAY too many crystals. I had to sop it up with another panel altogether. 

I edged the background panel with a shimmery green and then I added stems to the flowers with a Zig Cleancolor watercolor pen.  

Colorburst_watercolor_crystals_technique


Lastly I added a big ol' bow using Verve's Signature Ribbon collection. 

I'm going to enter this into the following challenges: 
Love to Create Challenge - Anything Mixed Media
Creative Artiste Challenge - Anything Mixed Media


So yeah.. now I need to go consult with my budget. 

Wondering why I'm loving purple so much on my blog? Well that's an easy question! The HOP TO STOP is happening through the 30th of October. It's a blog hop that raises awareness for victims of domestic violence. Some AMAZING sponsors (including Verve) have ponied up over $700 in prizes for those who link up! 



Head on over to check out the Hop! 

25 comments:

  1. Becca, this is one of my favorite cards of your ever! Money well spent in my book! Have fun with these. Love what you've done here. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once bitten you can't go back! Haven't used those crystals but have been expanding my collection of Brusho's to nearly 40, well there may be a few duplications in there. Super card. Have you tried Kylie's Brusho with starch for backgrounds?

    ReplyDelete
  3. aren't those color bursts fun!! you're going to really go to town now that you have them - wonderful card!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow wow wow!!! Love it!!!! Great design and LOVE your purple crystals sprinkling!!! So vibrant and dreaming! Fabulous stamp, too, and the bow is just perfect to make the flowers pop out! A true piece of Art, Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely stunning!! The colors are amazing!! I love the design!! Can't wait to see more projects from you using the colorbursts!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another stunner! Is Colorburst the same as Brushos? It looks like it - so much fun to play with:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Your card is absolutely gorgeous! You are making me want to go out and buy some of the Ken Oliver crystals! I love all the rich purple!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those roses. I use brusho's and they are fun as well. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have just started using brushos and I enjoy them. This is really pretty and unique as always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderfully artsy Becca, you are an amazing talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW Indeed vibrant beautiful colors...no wonder you couldnt resist for long
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply stunning, Becca! looks fabulous, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do purple perfectly...but you know that...I am sure x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Becca, this is gorgeous! I'm glad you bought some Cloudburst crystals if it means I get to see more of this fabulousness. :) And I love the cartoon! Unfortunately that's 100% me...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi your card is stunning. Thank you for joining us at <a href='http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk/’> Creative Artiste Challenge Blog </a> for challenge 19 Anything Goes Mixed Media and the sponsor is The Dusty Attic. Hugs Jackie DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Becca! It didn't take you long to figure out the Color Bursts! Absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohhh Becca this is stunning - love the effects you got with the powders, and the finished card is awesome
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beyond gorgeous, Becca! Love all the fabulous details.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are just waaaaay too good with these fun colorbursts. I had the opportunity to play a little with them when I was at the Lake House with the girls, and it was kind of addicting! Could have played for hours. LOVE that Verve poppy. It looks amazing among all that gorgeous purple. Uh-huh...you've rocked it here! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dude... I am exactly where you *were*... I have resisted the urge... I am trying SOOOO hard to not buy them, especially when I see stuff like this! Maybe I'll get some for my stocking... but can I wait almost 2 months???

    ReplyDelete