Friday, October 21, 2016

PURPLE! Mixed Media Card with Tutorial

Anyone else out there excited about all the purple cards beautifying the interwebs as of late? I know I am. Thank you SO much for all who have participated in the Hop to Stop this month. I've sent mental high fives to ALL of you!




This post also is going to serve as a reminder to go get your STAMPlorations on and join in on the latest challenge. We've got both a sketch AND a theme so there are plenty of options for you to choose from. Just do it already!






I was in my craft room last weekend and decided I wanted to get really messy. I had a leftover sheet that I'd sprayed with shades of purple Distress Inks for THIS CARD and I stared at it all googly eyed before I decided to just start playing.



I took out my Picked Raspberry Distress Paint and made some random circles (a la the STAMPlorations sketch) and then I ringed the pink with Picket Fence Distress Paint. I used my finger to swirl around the paint and blend it together. Since the Distress Spray background hadn't reacted yet with water, some of the purple color seeped into my wet paint and created a lovely blend of colors.



Next, I used the Folk Flowers set designed by Shirley B for STAMPlorations. I took what was supposed to be the stem of the flowers and bent them in the shape of my circles to create an outline. And then I embossed with white.



I also took my Picket Fence Distress Ink and added some small white circles to my big pink circles.



The last step of the background was to use my Dots All Over stencil and sponge Wilted Violet distress ink to create another layer of circles.



I stamped some of the Folk Flowers onto a piece of scrap paper and colored and shaded with my Distress Crayons.



Then I cut them out and pieced them together. Aren't they so funky and adorable!?! There's a million random flowers you could create from this set. (Believe me. I did the mathematical calculations) (don't really believe me - I have a degree in English, not math you sillies).



I stamped a big ol' sentiment from the Big Greetings sentiment kit and colored it in with purple Faber Castell Big Brush pen.

I also added some little sequins to the background and to one of my flowers.



Then I put it all together and said Taaaaa Daaaaa really loudly. :)
This card was so much fun to make and so much fun to stare at. Fun all around!

Make sure you head on over to STAMPlorations and check out the rest of the design team's handiwork!


I'm going to link this up to Seize the Birthday's lots of leaves challenge and Little Red Wagon's Let's Party - Happy Birthday challenge.




______________________________________________________________

Now - Just a reminder that the Hop to Stop is in full Hopping mode. Last year we had 238 linkups and I'm SO hoping to beat that. 


http://damselofdistressedcards.blogspot.com/2016/10/the-hop-to-stop-2016-raising-awareness.html

If you're wondering what the Hop is - it's a blog hop designed to raise awareness for victim's of domestic violence during National Domestic Violence awareness month. 

One in three women will experience domestic violence over the course of their lives. One in three. 

Please consider making a purple card and to help build awareness for such an important issue. <3 

As a bonus, the hop has over $700 worth of prizes that will be given away by extremely generous sponsors.

24 comments:

  1. Becca, I love this vivid, mixed media card! This has so much fun going on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I forgot...you can send this one to me!!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful mixed media card! I love all the deep, rich colorful elements! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous!! The purple looks amazing!! Love the design!! Fabulous tutorial, too!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card! Great color combination and love the awesome design!
    Thanks so much for joining us in the challenge at Seize the Birthday!
    Sherrie K
    Surprise Guest Designer at STB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for showing how you made this - so cool! I love the colours. Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Great card and love the whole style and the brightness which is one of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, just LOVE these shades of purple!!! Fab card and great jamming :D You are really talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The background you created on this beautiful purple Birthday card is gorgeous! I love all the swirls of color! I love the blog hop you created for this cause! I participated for the first time today, but I plan on making more cards to send! Thank you for creating this Domestic Abuse Awareness Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a work of art Becca, my goodness!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love Purple color
    and I love your card too
    many thanks for the step by step how you did it
    and I have that stamp too yaayy
    sweet bday card Becca
    and I am joining your the Hop to Stop too
    see you there
    hugs
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous card! It had such a happy feel about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous. Hope to join the hop to stop very soon. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! That white on the purple-ishy colours looks fabulous. LOOOOVE the layering up of the stamped bits, too:):)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous! Love the pops of bright green and yellow too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, you really know how to play, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful tutorial! Thank you, Becca! One of these days I'm going to try mixed media and when I do, I know where to come for inspiration! The background you made is very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE LOVE LOVE your process and this awesome card! Love the background you created... it sets off those oh so pretty flowers beautifully! Thanks for hosting this hop Becca!

    ReplyDelete