Monday, March 13, 2017

Day 1: International Mixed Media Week

Helloooooooooo bloggy friends. Today is the very first day of International Mixed Media Week. 


What's that? You haven't heard of International Mixed Media week? Neither have I. I totally just made it up but I really think there SHOULD be an International Mixed Media week (and if there already is, give me a holler).

mixed_media_card_technique_tutorial

Really I just wanted a reason to show you an entire week's worth of mixed media projects because... well that's what happened in my craft studio this week. :) I have a bunch of dreamy tutorials all lined up for you, so I hope you like pictures! 

ken_oliver_colorburst_background

I made a couple of card backgrounds using some Ken Oliver Color Burst watercolor crystals. These things are GENIUS for creating drama. I only used one of my backgrounds for this card, so stay tuned to my blog later in the week to see what I did with the other one!

I wanted to play along at Just Us Girls challenge this week

  
So I broke out my stencils! 

embossing_paste_through_stencil_card_technique

The background was too pretty and since I had to be the ONLY pretty thing in the room, I decided to cover it all up >insert evil stepmother voice here<. Just kidding. Really, I wanted to see what would happen, so I tried it! I used Dreamweaver Stencils Glossy Black Embossing Paste through the STAMPlorations Broken Glass stencil.

Mixed_media_card_background_distress_spray_stain_perfect_pearls_tim_holtz

My background seemed a little too pristine, so I dirtied it up a little bit by dropping Perfect Pearls all over it, and tapping some Picket Fence Distress Spray Stain over it, then I spritzed it with a teeny bit of water. 

heat_set_texture_paste_card_background

I used an embossing gun to heat set the paste, which makes it crack and bubble up and gives it such a yummy texture! Just look at that - don't you want to run your fingers over it?

mixed_media_card_ken_oliver_watercolor_crystals

I added a big ol' star that matched my background courtesy of the True Multifaceted Star Cutaway by Winnie & Walter. I also added on some gessoed and painted star chippies, and sentiment stickers by Tim Holtz Ideology. 

mixed_media_card_embossing_paste_ken_oliver_color_burst_watercolor

Taaadaaaaa! I hope you enjoyed day one of International Mixed Media week! :) hahaha 

I'm also going to link my card up to:
Craft Stamper Take It Make It Challenge - Anything Goes
Love to Create - Anything Mixed Media

Thanks for popping by, my friends!

21 comments:

  1. Superb outcome!! Love the look of the card :) looking forward to all the mixed media tutorials. Thanks for sharing
    hugs
    preeti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! I've been trying a more mixed media approach ... with limited success but I figure I just need to keep trying! Your projects always help ... thank you.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have create a fab mixed media card! Love how you added colours to the stenciled background, it looks so vibrant and bright! Love also the yummy surface of the paste, with the bubbles and cracks :D And LOVE so much the big star that matches so well the background lines! Stunning work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya know... I don't think you're the "Damsel of Distressed" cards. Nope. I think you're the Queen. Uh-huh. I've looked over each photo several times to see each step. I'm in awe, because I don't think I could make anything this cool even if you paid me a million bucks. From the peeks of the colorburst panel, to the stars, and the sheen, it's fantastic. Keep rockin' the MM, girl. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy International Mixed Media Week ;) I definitely think there should be one!! Your card is amazing!! I love the vibrant colors and the fabulous star!! What a gorgeous project!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Your card is gorgeous! I love the background you created with the Ken Oliver Colorbursts! I love playing with them! That black embossing paste is awesome, I have never worked with that, but I love the look you got on your card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!! this is simply awesome..love it totally..

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the QUEEN of mixed media and I LOVE It!! The backgrounds you made look so cool. I just bought some of those Ken Oliver crystals to try and play with and you have inspired me to do it tomorrow when it snows!! Love the addition of the black embossing paste too. Great card!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very cool! I love the back with the perfect pearl splatter and the star.....makes me think of some clubs I used to dance in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HA, you made it up!! You're too much fun Becca!! Cool card!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! Reminds me of cracked stained glass and kaleidoscopes. Creative Blessings, Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fantabulous!! Love the look you created with the black embossing paste stenciled over the Color Burst panel! Cool Beans!! And thank you for linking this up at Just Us Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol Great idea to name the week! Your project is fantastic! Thanks so much for the tutorial! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness--you've outdone yourself, Becca! My Color Bursts never look like this--haha! I would never have thought to cover it up with black through that stencil, but it's just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gob smackin' gorgeous Becca. Now just call yourself the International Mixed Media Maiden! Totally fabulous project.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep, I enjoyed Day 1, Becca and I can't wait to see what the rest of the week bring!!!! Such a stunning bg you created with all the black and I love that die cut star in yellow and black!!!! So striking and absolutely eye-catching!!!! Wonderfully done!!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the look of the bubbled up paste, Becca, and your card wouldn't have looked nearly as good without the Colorbursts showing through. All your other elements make for a great Mixed-Media card. I'm glad you shared it with us at Just Us Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how super cool! I need to get some color burst! Great job! Thanks so much for playing along with Just Us Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, yes, and yes to making an International Mixed Media week :) This card is busy in the most perfect way! Black with bursts of color... Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow this is gorgeous! Thanks so much for joining us at We Love to Create!
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete