Today's star designer is brought to you by the letter S for:
Although my style tends to be more mixed media-y, I admire designers for a host of different reasons. These FF segments have seen cardmakers who focus on shabby chic, masking masterminds, and yes - even clean and simple.
That's because even if I'm not particularly good at creating in that aesthetic, I still drool over well-designed cards in any style. And Featured Fridays are a GREAT way to get me outside of my comfort zone.
And that's where Samantha comes in. We "met" when she asked me to be a part of the Crafty Gals Design Team (which I served a term on). I always drooled over Sammy's ability to create fancy fold cards, but her greatest skill (in my opinion) is coloring. Holeeee snapdragons can this girl color!
By why let me tell you all about her, when she can do that herself? Here's 7 things you should know about Samantha:
1. How did you get your start in card making?My mom is actually the one who got me started! In December of 2009 I got a Cricut and I have just expanded from there. I've always been into crafty things though. Before I was into card making, I use to paint and scrapbook as well.
2. You're an amazing colorist! Have any tips for people interested in learning to color like you?I invested in some of the Kit & Clowder technique classes and those are worth every penny! I feel like those classes defintely help me perfect some of my coloring techniques and I've learned so many new ones along the way as well. The biggest tip, I would have to say though is PRACTICE!
3. If you could buy any craft supply/product right now, what would it be?A MISTI! I've been eyeballing that thing out for a while now. I have a couple stamp sets that are meant to be layered and with MISTI it looks like it would be a breeze.
I would have to say Magenta. First off it's my favorite color, second off I love how fun, loud, and pretty it is!
4. If you were a color, what color would you be and why?
I'm completely biased but Crafty Gals Corner (which I run for those of you who didn't know) is one of my favorites! I also really like Faery Ink, Scrapper's Delights, Sassy Studio Designs. Some of those are blog challenges but nevertheless - still fun!
5. What are your favorite card making challenges?
6. How do you stay organized?I attribute a lot of that to my need for organization. My craftroom has to be oragnized, I'm a little OCD about it. Every box is labeled with what it's side, things are alphabetized, color coded, etc. My dies and stamps are in Stamping Up! Storage boxes and are colored coded by occasion. I can't stand not being able to find something - so with this crazy organized way I hardly ever loose anything.
7. What is your best advice for new bloggers?Explore other people's blogs, find some inspiration, and show us what you got!
I just got a MISTI and, although I haven't had much time to test it out, I can tell it's going to be amazing!
For those of you who haven't seen a Featured Friday before, it's all about CASEing. I'll find one creation on the featuree's blog that made me fall in love, and then we BOTH get to CASE the creation!
Oh my goodness golly - this card is actually displayed in my dining room right now because Samantha sent it to me for my birthday. I was BLOWN AWAY. That gorgeously colored ombre hair, the netting, and the pearl "bubbles" It's so creative and something I never would have thought to design!
So my very first thought was to do Janna Prosvirina's Oak Fairy
with ombre hair like the awesome Samantha - ummmm yeaaaaahhhhh I'm going to need some practice withthat because, as you can see - this is NOT ombre hair. Snicker*
I forgot how relaxing coloring could be!! I colored this girl up with a whole HOST of Spectrum Noir Markers. ANNND! After one rather unsuccessful attempt at scoring, I fancy folded! *Takes bow* Taaa daaaa! So thank you Samantha, for pushing me out of my comfort zone because I LOVE what I created!
I'm sending this gal over to:
Crafty Gals Corner - Bingo Challenge (I chose the middle row down - ribbon, colored digi, sentiment)
Aud Sentiments - ATG + a sentiment
One Sweet Challenge - Anything Goes using Sweet Pea Stamps
Darnell's NBUS - Everything on this card is new. I won this digi stamp back in March and haven't used it yet - woops! I also used some brand new May Arts adhesive ribbon, and the wooden chippies have been idling in my drawer, too.
Pssssssssssssssssssstttt: Here's special sneaky peeky for my bloggy followers - As we were going through the conversation for Featured Friday, Samantha said "Gosh, I love what you do with mixed media." and I gushed "Thanks! But I WISH I could do what you do with coloring." and so an idea curdled in our brains.
So on the last Thursday of the month we'll be bringing you
The BS Sessions! Basically, I'll ask Sammy one question about coloring, and SHE will ask me one question about mixed media. And then we'll share tutorials on our blog. The first BS Sessions will be held September 4th! Stay tuned!
PLEASE - if you could spare a minute of your day would you mind popping by Sammy's blog and telling her hello? I'm sure it would make her day!