Friday, May 1, 2015

A Leafy Art Journal Page - STAMPlorations May Challenge

Texture! Color! Technique!
That's what I've got in store for you today, my lovely readers! 
It's the first of the month and time for a new monthly challenge over at STAMPlorations. This month's challenge is:


We like entries done in any style! Have a CAS flower card with leaves? Link it up! Have a mixed media masterpiece with autumnal touches? Link it up! 

I definitely opted for the latter as I was feeling like getting a little bit messy. Many of you know that my big project this year is to put some of my poetry along with corresponding artwork. I've already made one page (you can see it here if you'd like) and have really wanted to be considerate of the design when moving forward, so I'm taking my own sweet time. 

Here's how I created my second page, with my poem called Autumnal Lullaby. 


First, I applied a layer of gesso and, while it was still wet, stuck in bits of crumpled up tissue paper to create a textural base. The gesso allows my next layer to go on the page and blend easier. 


Next, I dobbed on some Distress Paint in Mustard Seed and Fired Brick. If you haven't used Distress Paints before, the thing that makes them unique is that they react with water.

Give 'em a little spritz with a water mister and they start doing happy dances all over the page. 

Depending on which way you twist and turn your page, the paint will drip into itself and start creating unique color combos that just weren't there before. Magic!


The last picture is a combination of three steps, First, I used a crinkled paper towel to dab up some of the paint and to create a sort of leaf veining texture in the background, I also spritzed on some Bronzed Copper Distress Spray Stain and painted on a shimmery border with Perfect Pearls (Forever Red). 

I added my poem and incorporated it into the design by using some of the leaves from the STAMPlorations Trendy Leaves set, along with some stenciling work from the Nested Circles ARTplorations stencil



I double stamped the leaves using different Distress Ink colors, but in to make them really pop, I used a Faber Castell artist pen and outlined them, then smudged the outline to create some charcoally (that's a word, right?) shadows. 


I added some wood chippies for more texture. And here you can really see how lovely that tissue paper looks. 


One of the cool elements is this dangly wooden piece. It's actually an old earring. My mom and dad go to a lot of auctions and do junk sales during the summer months. Last time I was home, she had a whole box of mismatched earrings that I heroically saved from the garbage can! Just call me SuperBecca!


Anyway, that's what I have for you fine folks. I totally think you should go get messy now too and link up some awesome projects to our challenge over at STAMPlorations. There's cool prizes for you to win, plus we give you lots of great recognition of your artwork. 

I'm also going to link this up to the following challenges: 

Addicted to Stamps and More - Make your Mark (p.s. I tried to find if I could enter things besides cards here, but it didn't say. Just let me know if I can't.) :) 
Craft Stamper Magazine - Take a Stamp
 
Mixed Media Mojo Bingo: (I went gesso, stencil, chipboard)

Thanks for popping by! Leave me a comment or follow my blog and I'll be sure to head your way, too!


50 comments:

  1. Yum!! Love those bright bold colours:) I'm wondering if it's YOUR poem??? And good on you for Saving the ear rings!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am! It is my poem. I wrote it in 2011.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous Becca!! Amazing texture and I am loving these fiery colours, so rich and vibrant! A beautiful page! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely poem and such a gorgeous setting for it! that earring is a wonderful touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your page is SO colorful and such a good way to feature that beautiful poem, Becca! I like to write haikus and you have reminded me to start taking the time to do so more often. Love your funky style, girlfriend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow..A gr8 combo of two talents you posses Becca ! The page has beautiful Autumn colors n leaves WOw !

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really beautiful! I love everything about it! What a lovely poem! The earring is a nice detail you added!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...awesome results. Must say I would have chickened out along the way...and it came together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous colours Becca!! This looks super!! I love the layout and page, what a treasure to keep!! Thank you for your sweet comment over on my blog, it put a big grin on my face :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. No words...just a tiny tear for your lovely poem and complete, silent awe for this stunning page.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No words...just a tiny tear for your lovely poem and complete, silent awe for this stunning page.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your leaves are by far the most colourful, gorgeous!! Love coming here and seeing your tutorials and fab art. What a treasure your mum had, good saving SuperBecca, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Becca, your leaves are really beautiful with the colors you've chosen!! Stunning journal design with a fabulous poem too!! :) Yes, you can enter other than a card over at ATSM!! :) Thanks so much for joining in!! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness, Becca - you are one talented lady! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Becca, what a great way to frame and display your poem. This is a keepsake!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just great! The whole thing. I love all the pictures you do because one sees how it starts out and then becomes amazing! I have kept earrings also. The poem is excellent...it really is and I love how well it goes with your page-beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look to have had a fun time creating this mini masterpiece. Fantastic texture and autumnal colour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. A veritable feast for the eyes :) am glad your through the weekend, looking forward to seeing you Valentine's cards x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing page ! Love those colours Becca. Sorry for my lack of visiting moving house and only just got internet sorted. Hope you are well xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. A gorgeous setting for your poem Becca, this is fabulous. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! You've done a really amazing job with all these techniques and the color palette is just fabulous! How lovely that you write poetry...Good for you, Becca!
    Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at ATSM! We always enjoy seeing your creations in the gallery!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow....this is really beautiful Becca! Love that background and yes...Distress Paints are amazing...you did such a super job with the colouring. Love the poem and the wooden earing fits perfectly! You are such a creative lady....an amazing project! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely and totally cool Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  23. stunning Becca. I love the texture you created with the tissue paper. Such a great page in your journal.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, Becca! I'm in awe of your talent and gorgeous art work! Very inspiring and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. ooo so awesome Becca! Love the hot colors. I love your poem, you are a wonderful artist in so many ways:)

    Thanks for playing out Tic Tac Toe Board at Mixed Media Mojo!
    hugs,
    ~kim

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my gosh, this is amazing!! I love, love the colors and texture!! The poem - fabulous!! Everything about this is stunning!! You are an artist with paper and words!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a gorgeous art journal page, love the colours and your poem! Hugs Carole Z X

    ReplyDelete
  28. Masterpiece! I love the poem too! Thank you for sharing it with us at Mixed Media Mojo challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so far behind I can see my own butt - catching up with your projects from the last few weeks! I have to tell you, every time I pull out a stencil or get the least bit messy I think "Becca!" You inspire me all the time girly. I am utterly in love with your poetry & how you are showcasing it with your artwork - just beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Becca, dear, I'm so glad that you are putting it all out there, because you have much to share that's beautiful! Making this journal (and future ones) that showcase your extraordinary talent as both an artist and a writer is complimenting the universe and bringing joy to others! What a marvelous sense of accomplishment you must feel as you finish each page!! WAY TO FRIGGIN' GO!! Hugs, Darnell (PS I don't think the link to "see it here" is working. I found it to enjoy anyway, but I thought you'd like to know. xxoo)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous project! Thanks for joining in the TIMI challenge at Craft Stamper!
    xxx Ellie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. So cool, to see your process - LOVE the result!

    ReplyDelete
  33. wow, Becca this is brilliant. Thanks so much for sharing how you made this because it is really, really interesting. I love how you saved stuff from going in the rubbish - sounds a bit like me ;) Your journal is outstanding. I wish I could create something like this! Thanks so much for playing along at ATSM xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous project, Becca. Love the rich and warm colours you used. Stunning!
    ♥ Lena
    Lena’s Creations

    ReplyDelete
  35. Stunning! Love the colours, the awesome texture and everything about it. Your poem is truly beautiful and wonderful too Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fabulous pages Becca, such a wonderful accompaniment to your lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  37. girl of many talents. awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the colours you have used, and the depth and dimension! Thank you so much for joining Mixed Media Mojo's May Challenge! Hope to see you again!
    Siv x

    ReplyDelete
  39. oh my gosh Amazing!!! LOVE the colors and how you mixed them on the page!!!! inspiring!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. WOW!! What fab colours and a gorgeous poem too. Thank you for joining in with the Craft Stamper Challenge .... good luck! Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love, I love, I love!!! This is awesome, awesome, awesome!!
    ♥ Samantha
    Designs by Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow I love your project! Thanks for joining us at the Craft Stamper Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. What an absolute MASTERPIECE!!! Your layering is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. stunning
    agree with Nora N that is your Masterpiece...
    the result is amazing Becca
    you always put much minutes to make your paper getting so lovely
    I am not so patience like you I want all faster finished cause then come my son and ask mom please help me with my homework...oo..ooo then I cant finish my card hihi...
    love this masterpiece Becca

    ReplyDelete
  45. SuperBecca is most apt, my friend! Your journal page is super stunning; the tutorial of how the 'magic' works is super impressive, and your poetry is super special. Multi-talented you...and with a charming, awesome personality, to boot! I'm in wow-awe...
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  46. SuperBecca, I'm so glad I'm not the only magpie, collecting broken jewellery and mismatched earrings ;) Mine have yet to make it onto a card. Love the detail (and the poetry) in your journal page. Thanks for joining the Craft Stamper Take It Make It challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  47. A fabulous journal page, love the textures and the colours are lovely. Thank you for sharing it with us at Mixed Media Mojo.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Beautiful. Love the mix of the red, orange and yellow and all the fun texture. Wonderful pages for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Cooooooool :-D Amazing colours and I love the textured background :-D xx

    ReplyDelete