Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Get Outside Your Comfort Zone - Eclectic Ellapu

Big NEWS!!! >>> I am not the only one who didn't know how to do masking <<<. A couple of weeks ago, I featured the masking guru herself, Miss Laura Jane Head, on my blog and I had to CASE one of her cards. So I set out to learn how to mask. 

Honestly, I love the effects but it is a very time-intensive, perfection-required, un-Becca-like thing to do. (Hello, Damsel of DISTRESSED anyone?!)  

However, I got to choose the challenge theme over at Eclectic Ellapu this month and I have chosen:


We want to you try something you're not entirely comfy with. Something you haven't mastered yet. Get outside that space that makes you relax and get really really worried that your project is going to turn out like a Picasso print (except for not worth as much money). 


Which brings me back to masking. After seeing my CASE of Laura's card, my awesome, gorgeous, talented, amazing (have I thrown enough good adjectives out there yet) cousin asked me if I would show her how to mask. 

My first thought was, WHYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyYYyyyy?!?! Now I have to do that whole shindig all over again?!? Definitely outside my comfort zone! And my second thought was to sigh in resignation and start working on a masking tutorial. Since my cousin lives in North Carolina, that's the only way I can "show" her. 

Step One:
The key to masking is to choose which things you want in the forefront and to stamp those images first. For example, I knew that I wanted a frame for my sentiment in the forefront, so I stamped that and then I stamped the image again on a piece of scrap paper and fussy cut it. 

 

Then I positioned my frame over the frame I'd already stamped on the card. 
TIP: If you use sticky back Post-Its, this is much easier. Since I haven't invested in those, however, I just used scratch paper. 

Step 2:
Stamp the next image you want. This image will be behind the foreground image. 

 

Repeat the process of stamping on a scratch piece of paper, fussy cutting it, and masking the stamped image already on your card. You can see that the area over the frame would have been ruined if I'd stamped directly onto my card. By masking, the frame is protected from any unwanted ink. 

Step 3 through 9,123
 (at least that's what it felt like in my head) 


Continue stamping and fussy cutting as needed. Remember that each layer you do will be BEHIND the images already stamped. For me, I was using the same stamp over and over again (From STAMPlorations Bloom Sketches). Because of this, I was able to use the masks I'd cut and move them along my design as I went, so I really only had to cut out the two daisy masks. 


I colored my daisies all in with some BRIGHT neon Spectrum Noir markers, stamped a sentiment from STAMPlorations SENTIMENT BUILDERS: Celebrate and...

VOILA!



I've got an incredibly bright, fun springtime card. It was super fun to do something outside of my normal wheelhouse, AND it's sort of doubly outside my wheelhouse because you will notice that it is only >>>ONE<<< layer!! Unheard of. I painted in the centers of the daisies with perfect pearls for extra shine. 

What new thing can you add to your bag of tricks? Or what old thing can you give a second chance? Show us over at Eclectic Ellapu!

As for me, I will be linking up to these incredibly cool challenges:
Inkspirational - Neon Colours 
Sentimental Sundays - Spring plus a sentiment
Pile it On - Easter/Springtime
Corrosive Challenges - Hop into Spring
613 Avenue Create - Anything Goes


Thank you for stopping by and a HUGE CRAFTY THANK YOU to my newest followers! Follow my blog or leave me a comment and I will try to return the favor! 

46 comments:

  1. This is brilliant! I love the colours since they are so bright and you got the masking down to a science!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow LOVE how you created that card and added the flowers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So clever and gorgeous Becca! This is truely stunning idea! :)
    Hugs,
    Suchi xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of time and effort but a beautiful result! I have not done much masking either - I tried it once and had a problem and gave up - I really want to try it again - your tutorial is fabulous! As usual! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fab masking Becca, you've ended up with a really great card. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! You and me too. I'm so impatient, that although I LOOOVE the look it gives [& your card is a prime love eg!]....honestly, I have to be strangely madly motivated to do one.....but like you, when I do, I get tickled pink at the result!!! HAVE a wonderful Easter, my friend:):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooooo, this is fabulous! Thanks for a great tutorial too, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. SUPER!! I knew you would do an AMAZING job at showing the steps of masking:))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Becca, this is a fab card. I love all the vivid bright colors. It is amazing that you start in the front and work backwards and it looks dimentional! You can send me this card!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great advice to be out of comfort zone and greate tutorial! And i do love the card you made! These bright flowers make me smile :) Thank you very much for sharing your project with us this week at 613 Avenue Create! Happy crafting to you!
    Sasha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous card Becca and what an amazing job you did with the masking! The frame makes such a great focal point for your sentiment and your colours are just so vibrant! love it, hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful work, Becca, your masking is fantastic, and I love the wonderful colors you brought together for this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work, Becca, your masking is fantastic, and I love the wonderful colors you brought together for this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Becca Becca Beccca! What would I do without your craftiness?!! Your out of comfort zone is gorgeous! Your masking technique tut is easy to follow. You've totally inspired me! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am blown away by this beauty :) way to rock the masking and the colors :) Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Becca this is gorgeous! Love the vibrant colors you used, so cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fab card Becca, love the bright colours..super technique, thanks for the tutorial, hugs Carole Z X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Unbelievable dimension for a one-layer card. I'm so impressed (still wiping the spittle off my lips, ugh! gross!) Did you say you were new at this? I don't freaking believe it! Look super professional to me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Unbelievable dimension for a one-layer card. I'm so impressed (still wiping the spittle off my lips, ugh! gross!) Did you say you were new at this? I don't freaking believe it! Look super professional to me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Seriously beautiful stamping Becca - I love it! As Lin has said this has amazing dimension and the colours are awesome!
    I have problems with three techniques: cutting shaped cards; adding texture paste; and trying to do CAS/OLC!! I can't create a CAS card when stamping because I get ink or paint or a blob of glue on it lol!
    I will try to play along again this month and will have to pick one of my three nemesis, the cutting of the cards dries me nuts too, and trying not to get the texture paste to leak under the stencil is something I'm trying really hard to improve. I think I just talked myself into entering too, lol, thank you for the lovely comment on my blog, I am so chuffed to have won that voucher, have been playing their challenges for a couple of years and it's my first voucher win - yay!!! Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Becca this is AMAZING
    I am speechless
    and thanks for the tutorial and how the result if we masking that daisy..
    I read your tutorial and I understand it so good..
    Love your neon Spectrum Noir markers it is the one I dont have in my stash
    LOVE YOUR ADORABLE AND SPEECHLESS card on this post
    your coloring are AMAZING
    hugs for you my friend...wish you have time to see my CAS and easy creation :)
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Becca this is beautifully stamped and masked and I love all the glorious colours. Thanks for a great challenge...certainly got me out of my comfort zone. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Becca!! This is pretty. I love the masking and the vibrant colors you used on this. STUNNING card!!! I am going to have to try this!! (and then post all my mishaps. This looks intimidating!!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Becca, I'm going to have to come back at a later time..maybe tomorrow when I'm on a 4 hour flight and study your tutorial! I need to learn how to do this, what a stunning project you've turned out using this masking technique..wow!!! Also, wanted to mention that it may not be worth a Picasso..but a Picasso wasn't worth a Picasso when he was alive..so you get where I'm going with this, right? I live in NC, maybe your cuz and I are neighbors? Thanks for entering this lovely creation with us this week over at Sentimental Sundays!

    AJ ~ DT member, Sentimental Sundays

    ReplyDelete
  25. Teehee, it's not that masking scares me... I'm just too lazy to want to do it most of the time! When I see results like this though... may just have to get the post-its out!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this!!! Fussy cutting and I are not friends, but I can do it when I set my mind to it - perfect tutorial tho!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is AMAZING, Becca! Fabulous masking!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Becca you are not alone ! I also tried masking recently ,the paper mask tends to shift slightly ,Post it notes are good and can be reused with temporary glue(No need to cut them again and again :D ) So nice of you to do a tutorial :) I loved the Bright beauty you have created !

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love masking. I love the way you've masked on this fun and happy card. I don't mask too often as my dyslexia requires that I think about it long and hard before setting about. One more tip...save your masks. I keep them taped to my wall above my craft desk and grab one when the moment strikes. Love your card though. Those colors are just brilliant and bright. Well done you!! Easter blessings! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  30. Something else I should try at some point. It is beautiful sweetie xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Something else I should try at some point. It is beautiful sweetie xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think you are officially a 'pro' masker, my friend, given the stunning, jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring card and tutorial you just shared with us! My masking needs far more practice....looks like I may 'have' to CASE this card of yours. Alas, mine won't be one-layer; the Chameleon 'see through' on the back...ewwww! Still, loving your colours, layout, the big bloom... Your post: yet another work of art with words! Engaging and entertaining!
    Hugs galore,
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am so impressed and in love with this card!!! What a delightful beauty she is!! Love those brightly colored flowers and the way you absolutely rocked the masking!!! But ONE LAYER - are you serious?!?! =] This is one amazing one layer card - so pleased for you!!! You should give yourself a huge pat on the back for this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's great to see a olc that's not cas - love this profusion of fabulously colourful flowers.
    Thank you for joining us at Inkspirational Challenges. Come back next time! Marina

    ReplyDelete
  35. Stunning card!! You did a perfect job masking!! The flowers are absolutely beautiful!! Love the gorgeous colors!! Bea-uti-ful!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  36. Nice card and nice tut! Thanks for droppling this in our mailbox at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful bright colours and a crazy spring outlook! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Bright & beautiful--worth the effort of masking, which I almost never take time to do!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Gorgeous, masking is such a faff but well worth it as this is stunning
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. so bright and cheery! i love it!!! I always want to go get inky after I visit your blog. love your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Absolutely fantastic...and now I know something about masking too ;-P Gorgeous card Becca.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Scrolling through your work. BEAUTIFUL!! I love this so much.

    ReplyDelete
  43. One layer? Masking? WHO ARE YOU I DON'T EVEN KNOW ANYMORE
    Just kidding. You are amazing & brilliant - I so love the bright colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. LOVE IT! I love the bright colors and appreciate the tutorial! I will be trying this soon!
    Thanks Becca!

    hugs,
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete