Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Tissue Paper, Gelatos, and Stars - Oh MY! Cardz 4 Guyz GD

Holy flibbertigibbets (which I learned this week IS an ACTUAL word... thanks to what I am assuming is a dictionary editor who got a little tipsy one day)! Have I ever got a textural card for you!!

Well... not literally for you... It's actually for my card stash. But that's not the point. The point is that I'm going to SHOW you a textural card.

This week also marks the last Tuesday of March, which means my Guest Design team with Cardz 4 Guyz is coming to an end. *Insert sad face here* I've so enjoyed thinking about the guy-side of things this month because I so often forget to do that!

The challenge over at Cardz is to use something that starts with an "S". 


Hence: A STAR!!



Whenever I get an order from STAMPlorations, Shery always wraps the stamps in tissue paper. Since I am a weirdo hoarder of all things that could potentially be stuck on a card at some point in time, I have a stack of tissue paper just lazing about unused in my craft room. 


Here's how I made my background:


I began by painting my card stock with a thin layer of Matte Gel and then stuck some crinkled up tissue paper to it. I then painted over it with another layer of Matte Gel and let it dry. Then, because I wanted to use gelatos and didn't want my tissue paper to tear, I painted over the whole thing with gesso. 

Then I applied alternating diagonal rows of bright blue and bright green Gelatos to the base and blended with my finger and some water. 


 Next, I applied some blue ink through a swirly stencil (STAMPlorations Confetti Circles) and then moved the stencil to a different area and applied texture paste. Then I let that dry. (Oh pssssh, yeah right - I totally used my heat gun to speed up the process.)

I sponged the edges and raised areas of the background with Black Soot Distress Ink to really bring out the great texture, and to grunge it up a bit. I added a star from a die cut pack and placed it behind some teal baker's twine. Then I added the In a Word: Happy die from Winnie and Walter and stamped birthday onto the star. 









This is definitely a technique I'll be trying again, because I am in L-O-V-E with all that texture and drama. 

So if you are thinking of the Fellas this week in your card making, put something with an S on it and go play along at Cardz 4 Guyz!

I'm also sending my card over to the following challenges:

Seize the Birthday - Anything Goes Birthday

Addicted to Stamps - Stars
Through the Craft Room Door - Anything Goes
Little Red Wagon - You're a Star
Friday Mashup - Sketch or Masculine project

Thanks for stopping by! Follow my blog or leave me a comment and I'll try to return the favor! Happy Tuesday!

48 comments:

  1. Amazing!!! Love all the great techniques. Thanks you so much for sharing with us at Little Red Wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Becca you flibberty gibbet you! Love all that texture and the colours you used.
    So pleased you've enjoyed your stint on our DT, hope to see you back soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Gosh that's amazing texture!!! And you used my two favorite colors Green and Teal! Last week you inspired me to dig out my stains and now with this card! I don't have any gelatos but I feel I need to try something with tissue paper. Maybe some dylusion sprays... Thanks again for inspiring me to use some product hidden away in drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becca, this is GORGEOUS! Love all the texture and the colors are stunning, too! I'm pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, fabby textures, love the crumpled tissue texture and I think I may actually "need" some gelatos? I've resisted up to now but feel myself weakening LOL. Wonderful masculine card

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent card - love all the colour and texture you've created! thanks also for what will probably have to be one of my favourite 'Words of the week' feature in my school library. The kids love it and actively seek-out exciting new words for me to showcase - this one's a beaut, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the vibrant colors and texture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun project here Becca!! LOVE your colors and fab design here!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tissue paper technique with the blue and green! Thank you for following my Blog and I am following you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a super great card with awesome dimension and texture!! Love the way you did that textural background and I think it looks great with the star and the twine!! Such a fab card and so totally cool for a guy!! Love it!! Hope your day makes you feel like a Star!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so stealing...er...trying this technique. Don't have enough words to explain the awesomeness of this look You, my dear, are brilliant. What an amazing and, dare I say, "happy" card. Plus I found out that I'm not the only hoarder of tissue paper. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! I love those fabulous colours! You are inspiring me to reach for my gelato...I can see them on the shelf calling out to me! hugs Carole Z X

    ReplyDelete
  13. In the words of my kiddos...AWESOME SAUCE!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderfully rich in texture. I loved your step-by-step process. You are inspiring me to try tissue paper on a scrapbook page background...we shall see where this leads to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful colors and I love the texture. Thanks for joining us at Seize the Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Becca, this card is a stunner! Love all the vivid colors and texture. I think you have a winner here!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful guy card, love that star!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't be silly, everyone hoards all their tissue paper... right? :P I LOVE the background you've created. I may have to try this, even though I've failed at tissue paper techniques before. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loving this Becca! Fab design and your background looks amazing. I too hoard all the tissue paper, usually using it to stamp on for canvases or journal pages...must try this! Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so cool! The textures and colors are amazing! Thanks for joining us at The Friday Mashup!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMGosh this is so beautiful. I have hoarded tissue as well. I am going to have to try this out. thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yup! This makes ME happy!!!! Looooove all the bright popping bg work... Makes my fingers itch to scrap!!!! GORGEOUS:):)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, so cool. Love the texture you can create doing this. Awesome job. Thank you for joining us this week at TTCRD.
    Cindy- TTCRD

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have got to be the queen of amazingly beautiful backgrounds Becca!! This is vibrant, full of texture and incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my, how I adore this card! It has a star on it (love stars) but that background is out of this world! Have to start using MY stash of saved tissue paper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so cool!! I love that background. I have done that with mist but not with paint. FABULOUS design!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful design and technique! I love the colors so very much. Thank you for sharing the technique. I'm so glad you entered the Star Challenge at the Addicted to Stamps Challenge Blog.

    XO
    Chris
    http://ascrappersmusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Holy flippermigidgets (my own word:)) this is one rocking card! I love all the texture to it and I also have a stash of tissue paper. I don't have gesso though or these ice cream paints( sorry gelatos)-they look really great to work with. You should put yourself on youtube as I would watch you in a heartbeat! Love the colours and all the textures

    ReplyDelete
  29. you never cease to amazing!! your techniques are super cool and love that you show your process!!! gorgeous work

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! So much gorgeous texture! Thanks for sharing how you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Another fab card and tut! You've again inspired me to try your technique! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  32. Another gorgeous piece of Art Becca. Love the colors and all the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  33. such an AMAZING BG PAPER you have made Becca
    wooooww and thanks for the step by step
    I never made so complicated BG like you
    you are really a great card maker at making mixed media card
    Love your card and love the vibrant color and you have much ladies here commenting
    you are queen at getting comment dear Becca..
    Happy Wednesday sweet Becca...

    ReplyDelete
  34. SUPER AMAZING !!! I loved the bg..its Awesome !

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love all that texture! (I save all the washi tape on the package...)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fabulous! Love the texture and the colors work so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  37. ... and thanks for playing along at Seize The Birthday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is SUCH a great technique I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Incredible Becca...I loved reading your steps as well! Thanks for sharing your talents with us again at Seize the Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is absolutely gorgeous, Becca!! The background looks amazing!! I love the colors!! This is a wow card!! Love the texture and design!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  41. perfect work! Just love it!
    thanks for playing with us at addicted to stamps. Hope to see you soon
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great masculine card and great techniques x

    ReplyDelete
  43. I've got tissue paper that's been floating around the house for the past few weeks while I wondered what to do with it - now I know! WOW! This is such a great technique and I love the layering with the stencil, ink and stencil paste. Thank you. Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wowzer, Becca--one of my favorites of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I want to touch this. A lot. SO much texture (must try the tissue, I also have a stack!)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Gahhh...I know I left a comment, squealing with delight at your fabulous card and the 'how to use' gelatos tutorial! Good thing I returned to gaze, admire and follow your instructions! LOVE this! I'll be practicing with my big stash of four gelatos soon!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete