Sunday, March 22, 2015

Stencils and Embossing Powder - CCC and NBUS

Whew! Something about traveling takes the wind right out of me. This week I had to give a grant writing presentation to city officials down in our state capital, Bismarck. Talk about nerve wracking! To top it all off, I was co-presenting with the Director of my Center. Double whew!

So that's why things have been a little quiet on the Becca front this week. Today I'm back to share a card that I made for the March Card Chain Challenge over at Society of Stampaholics. What is the CCC? I'm glad you asked! 

The CCC is Deborah Nolan's brainchild. It's a monthly card exchange of sorts. Basically you sign up to send a card, and you also get a card. It's a ton of fun and a great way to actually use those pretty cards you make. 
Today I'm going to talk about using stencils and embossing powder to achieve a great distressed effect. 

To make the panel for my card, I started by rubbing the background with some lighter shades of Distress Inks (Tattered Rose, Spun Sugar, and Stormy Sky). 


Many people just use stencils with inks, but there are so many ways to use them! A couple weeks ago, I did a series of tutorials showcasing stencils and embossing paste, distress paints, and spray stains. 

Using stencils with embossing powder is very similar to using stencils with inks. Rather than using ink, however, all you have to do is sponge with an embossing ink (I used Perfect Medium, which is a thicker ink that works well with Perfect Pearls). 


This stencil is a sticky back one that came along with a brand new set that I just got from Hampton Art. I was dubious at first about how the sticky back would work on paper, but it was AMAZING! I didn't have to worry about taping the stencil down to hold it in place and it peeled right off with no problems!


Anywho - I sponged the embossing ink through the stencil and used a gold powder. Before drying, I brushed some areas off to give it more of a distressed look. I embossed a bird on a piece of turquoise vellum and then added some pink flowers sand twine. Lastly I sprayed the background with Distress Spray Stains and put all the layers together: 


This card was sent to the amazingly talented Robyn Oliver in Australia. 

Speaking of cards, I received a gorgeous one in the CCC from Mynette Kitchen that I want to share with you all! 

Mynn Kitchen

Let's just say that one is VERY proudly displayed in my house! Gorgeous! 

HEY! Have you heard?! The NBUS challenge is now open for business (or pleasure)! What is NBUS? I'm glad you asked! NBUS is an acronym for never-been-used-schtuff and is the brainchild of the amazingly hilarious and warm Darnell Knauss of DJKardKreations. So pull out your unused stuff that needs some love and get playing already!!


I am also going to link up the following great challenges:
Simon Says Stamps Monday - Lions and Lambs Oh My (use animals)
Addicted to Stamps and More - Anything Goes
Little Red Wagon - All tied up (used twine)
Hiding in My Craft Room - Embossing

52 comments:

  1. I always enjoy all of the techniques, textures and layers you add to your fabulous cards!! The gold in this is just beautiful Becca!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you find all this fun sites?? Your card looks fabulous, I'm so "in" for embossing right now ... gold and turquise, yamy. You have had a great card, lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a WOW card, Becca! I am sure Robyn said exactly that when she opened her envelope from you. Love all of the sprays and embossing. Your cards are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you did splendidly! And the card is a mega WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like you have been busy, great job!!! LOVE LOVE this card and the gold on it!!! gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so gorgeous!! I love the stenciled background!! It looks amazing!! The embossed bird image is fabulous, too!! What a beautiful card!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. love that gold with the aqua and pink - so pretty, Becca! lucky Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well what can I say Becca, it looks like you had fun playing around with ep with this fab creation.
    Thanks for playing along with us at ATSM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great card you made and she will love receiving it as you loved receiving the wonderful creation done by Mynette. I so want to get back to stamping but I am still sick and shaky-bugs me

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabby texture and layers - love the luxurious look of the gold embossing! I bet Robyn loves it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! This is gorgeous Becca, the stenciled and gold embossing looks amazing and the colours are beautiful too.
    The card you received is gorgeous too.
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Becca
    long time no see on my Blog
    Hope you are doing well
    maybe busy hehehe (LOL) and I miss your visit sweety (I also join the challenge you are DT in the Cardz 4 Guys hope to see you there Becca)
    I wanna say GREAT EMBOSSING GOLD on your card
    and stunning card
    Happy Sunday
    Big hugs from OLD friend :)
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fabulous Becca, love the embossing and gorgeous colours. A gorgeous card from Mynette too. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous card Becca x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the embossing, distressing and layers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is beautiful I love your embossing and what a wonderful card for someone to receive. I love it.
    You could also enter this in my DL.ART Thankful Thursday Anything Goes MARCH Linky Party. Have a blessed day
    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. gorgeous, luv the distressed look Becca...hope this week is more laid back girl!

    add a little glimmer to your life...sparkle & shine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Becca, your embossed card is awesome! I am going to check out your tutorials for these beautiful techniques! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful card Becca, love the distressed embossing through the stencil, must give it a try! Thanks so much for sharing your expertise.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a really pretty card...thank you for all the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome card!!! Mynn's card is very pretty too!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful card! Love, love, love the gold embossing! You are the stencil queen in my book! Another post for me to bookmark! Thank you! Mynn's card is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great creation and I adore the metallic touches! I also liked reading about the sticky-backed stencils as I've wondered about those myself. Thanks for sharing your thoughts as you made this stunning card. The color combination is stunning and I love all the techniques you used so skillfully. Congrats on being DONE with that presentation (definitely did sound like double whew) and thanks for creating great art in the meantime! Thanks also for supporting us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. As always a lovely creation Becca, always a delight to see your work.

    Hope you have a good week.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sheesh! I'd forgotten I'd signed up....must get onto my card...thank you, Becca!!! Yours is fabulous:):) LOOOOVE the gold embossing [of course!!!] & the pretty pink in there, too:):)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stunning work...and so clean and neat. My embossing is always a tad messy...when I use the heat gun the bits around the image always get melted too...anyhow...maybe that is a look too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous Becca! Love those stamps and the gold embossing powder works so well with your colour palette! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. You're an ink blending master...then you go and emboss over it. Oooooh, yummy. As is your card and the card you received. How fun. Thanks for ALL of your sweet comments on my schtufff. You make my day or days, maybe even months.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You're an ink blending master...then you go and emboss over it. Oooooh, yummy. As is your card and the card you received. How fun. Thanks for ALL of your sweet comments on my schtufff. You make my day or days, maybe even months.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Becca this is so so gorgeous! Wow it just jumped right off Feedly to me. LOVE the beautiful gold embossing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You've captured so much great texture here. I love the soft tones with the gold embossing, looks fab. Thanks for sharing with us again this week at ATSM, Anita x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful card, love those splatters. I'm sure it will be very happy in Australia and looks like a card for you is enjoying it's new home too. Very cute. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  33. It is such a beautiful card Becca.
    Love your color scheme and that "vintage - classy" look, right up my alley!
    Thanks for your explanations, very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous! I love the depth you've created.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very cool card, Becca--I know Robyn loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gorgeous card Becca and such an interesting technique. The recipient will be very lucky!
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Adoring your background Becca and that focal bird is just the sweetest thing, the gold tone of it is just beautiful too, hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love all the gold embossing - a beautiful and creative card.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Really stunning creation my dear!! Love the embossing and distress look to your design!! Thanks for sharing your creation with us at Addicted to Stamps & More! Hugs & Smiles - *Vicki*-DT member

    ReplyDelete
  40. So many great elements to see on your wonderful card. Thanks for sharing and playing along with our challenge this week at Little Red Wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  41. You are a stenciling guru! So much awesomeness - love the turquoise vellum and the splatters!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lovely creation, Becca ... love how you have the twine twirled behind that image. Thanks for sharing with us at the Little Red Wagon's All Tied Up challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  43. LOVE LOVE LOVE that gold bird, Becca! The colored vellum is awesome, too! So pretty! I'm honored that you like my card, too! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  44. Gorgeous card, love all the textural elements.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'm sure you did a wonderful job with your presentation, Becca! Your card is nothing short of a masterpiece, as always!! Thank you for all the time and effort that went into this instructive post!! You make it look so easy! And thank you so much for the kind shoutout and for playing in my NBUS Challenge #3!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oops, maybe it's too early in the morning for Granny! I do believe that is supposed to say NBUS Challenge #4!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is so pretty!! I LOVE all the fun techniques you used on here. I am loving the pictures too. I have such a hard time with that!! Really beautiful card!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. So stylish, Love the embossing you have on this card!! Thanks for joining us at Hiding in my Craft Room
    Cheers Jennie DTM
    Jenscrapstoo

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oh my...I've fallen behind again (visiting my mom and my family has a tendency to cause that...blaming them!), but catching up right NOW! I echo the others: your card is absolutely stunning...visual harmony in every detail! Lucky Robyn to be on the receiving end of this beauty! And the card you received: gorgeous!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  50. How lucky you were to receive a card from Mynn - she is a delight!! So excited about your visually pleasing card that just stunned me in awe!! Love it - it is so gorgeous!! Hope you have a lovely and awesome day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. You and Mynn are both so inspirational. Love your delish design hun, the gold is lush! Hugs, Wends x

    ReplyDelete