Friday, March 6, 2015

Stamps and Stencils - STAMPlorations March Challenge

Well, my faithful friends, the world and happiness have colluded  this week, because I got some card assignments that I was beyond stoked to take on.


I get to work with stencils!!!
**Insert Happy Dance Here**

STAMPlorations challenge is Stamps and Stencils so break out those flimsy plastic sheets of awesomeness and put them to use! Don't have stencils to try? Make your own by using the negative from a die cut image. Or better yet - check out the stencils in the STAMPlorations shop! They've got some awesome ones that have just been released! 

All this week (or for the next five days) I will be showing you one new medium to try with your stencils. Today's session will focus on.... drumroll please........


Embossing Paste!



Now, if you haven't worked with embossing paste before, I encourage you to head to your nearest craft store and buy yourself a jar. This stuff is FANTASTIC for creating awesome textural designs. There are different colors and textures of embossing paste, but I really like the Wendy Vecchi line. Embossing paste has the texture of shaving cream. It's light and airy and can dry naturally or be heat set. 

But first things first. 



I took a chalkboard sign die cut and stamped an awesome sentiment from the Blossom Overture STAMPlorations set. I layered that over some newsprint designer paper and put my stencil (Botanical Lush from STAMPlorations) over the lower left corner. 


I use a palette knife with my paste. You want to tape down your stencil (as pictured above) and swipe a very thin layer of embossing paste over the top. Scrape off the excess paste and put it back in the jar. Then - and this next bit is important - run to the nearest sink and clean your stencil because your paste will dry very quickly (about 15 minutes). 


You can use a heat gun to dry your paste (which I did because I'm an impatient lady). I then started painting over the top of it with Distress Paints (Broken China and Salty Ocean).  I also painted the corners, as well.



To say that I am sorta in love with this card is to say that Kim Kardashian's butt is sorta big. 

As for YOU - well you should go check out the STAMPlorations Stamps and Stencils challenge. We've got some awesome prizes, including a STAMPlorations gift card for the winner! You should also stay tuned because on March 8, 9, and 10 there will be a big stencil blog hop at the STAMP blog with even more prizes. And we've got a fabulous guest designer, Milla! Leave her some bloggy love! 



I will be showcasing the following techniques:
Stencils and Distress Paints
Stencils and Embossing Powders
Stencils and Sponging 
Stencils and Distress Spray Stains 

Whew!! So if you didn't know how to use stencils before now, you sure will after I get done with you! 

As for me, I'm going to link my card up to support some other amazing challenges:
Craft Stamper Magazine - Take It Make It - Anything Goes
Virginia's View - Embossing 
Make Art Challenge - Stencils
2015 World Wide Open Design Team Competition
ColorQ - thanks for the amazing color palette - I never would have put these together!



A big crafty welcome to my new followers! Thank you for making my day. 

Also - on a personal note, I will be gone for most of the next 5 days on vacation with limited access to the computer. So if I don't return your comments now, please don't feel bad! I'll do my best to play catch up when I get home! 

56 comments:

  1. So beautiful.
    Thank you for entering the 2015 World Wide Open Design Team Challenge.
    Annette DT Leader

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOH Becca, I am liking your card!! Looking forward to using my stencils and following your tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This so inventive Becca love how you only used a small section on the corner then added the colour.
    Enjoy your jollies! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your layers! Beautiful card. Thanks for joining us at the Take It Make It Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can see why you're in love with this card - gorgeous - especially love the colors you used!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card, Becca! The stencilling looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely thanks for joining us at the 2015 world wide challenge - Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome technique, love the colorcombo on your card ...and that backroung paper is just perfect for this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab card Becca, love the stencilling, gorgeous! hugs CaroleZ X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love love...embossing paste is such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to have to investigate and buy this embossing paste! I love the effect! You are truely inspiring! I love all your work. :)
    Hugs,
    Samantha xx
    Designs by Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your card and thanks for such a speedy entry into the Take It Make It challenge, Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Get you being all artsy with embossing paste! Great texture and design :) Enjoy your break....

    ReplyDelete
  14. So Beautiful. Thank you for entering the 2015 World Wide Open Design Team Challenge. Good Luck!
    Eleonora DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous way to use the stencils and embossing paste! Beautiful colors and I love that bold, black focal panel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wowza, girl.Loved the tututorial, the card, the color combo. Hell, just say I loved it all. REALLY need to use my copious stash of stencils more. Also need to check out Stamplorations stock for (what else) more goodness. Loved the reference to the Kardashian butt. Mine's about as big, but my waist isn't as small. (**heavy sigh**, as she took another bite of her corned beef sandwich) Hope you're going to have fun this next 5 days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wowza, girl.Loved the tututorial, the card, the color combo. Hell, just say I loved it all. REALLY need to use my copious stash of stencils more. Also need to check out Stamplorations stock for (what else) more goodness. Loved the reference to the Kardashian butt. Mine's about as big, but my waist isn't as small. (**heavy sigh**, as she took another bite of her corned beef sandwich) Hope you're going to have fun this next 5 days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is gorgeous Becca, such a fabulous design. I love the colours and wonderful textures too.
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. SO pretty! Love that chalkboard look on here too. Just the right amount of color with that pop of blue.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  20. how cool, love the chalkboard and texture, the pop of blue is perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely to see the stencilling in the foreground instead of the usual background Becca...love this. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your posts. Enjoy your vacation. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome card Becca, love the product feature too. You do some seriously amazing stuff xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. cool color
    cool technique
    and cool design
    fit for man and woman this card
    I love your card Becca always mixed media there and always awesome

    ReplyDelete
  24. That frame is just gorgeous!! Really love your stencil work here too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is gorgeous!! You did a fabulous job with the embossing paste!! Love the design and the details!! Have a wonderful time on vacation!! Safe travels!!

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  26. Becca...this is one fabulous, amazing and stunning cards! Love that you show your techniques, always fun to learn something new. Thank you so much for playing along with us at ColourQ, hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm totally diggin' your card, Becca! Great technique and the colors are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous! I'm loving the texture from the embossing paste! Thanks for joining us at colourQ!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is just gorgeous thank you for entering the 2015 world wide open DT challenge
    Michelle DT

    ReplyDelete
  30. Haha...you are so funny(kim kardasian)...I love your card to. Thank you for entering the 2015 World Wide Open Design Team Challenge. Hugs, Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  31. this is awesome, I luv embossing paste!

    spark;e & shine *~*

    ReplyDelete
  32. Becca this is amazing love the stencil and paste. It's awesome xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, your work and info here is so awesome with regards to stenciling. Gorgeous card and thanks for the encouragement to give this a try!! Enjoy your vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is just fabulous Becca! Love the simple black and white palette with the splashes of blue, just brilliant! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Becca!! I'm so sorry that I haven't been by lately--Got myself a little busy behind the scenes, so please don't take my lack of coming over personally--It's not you--It's ME!! :) :) LOL!! But, I've been watching your posts just fly through and Look At You GO!!! Terrific, Becca!! You keep up all of your fabulous DT projects and keep learning and sharing! :)
    OK--so, No You Didn't, evoke the name of GAG REFLEX kim Kardashian, let alone her GAG REFLEX backside?! OMG!! Too Funny!! I may have thrown up in my mouth!! :) LOL!! ;) But I love this chalkboard card, too! It's fabulous and vintagey and those pops of blue--Lovely!!
    Have a great vacation! Hope you're going somewhere to thaw!! :) XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  36. Becca Wow wow and more wow! Love this mixed media spectacular, you are so good at getting messy--LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is terrific! I love the texture and the blackboard look.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fab card, Becca! Love your selective stencilling on the corner. And thanks for playing along at Craft Stamper Take It Make It :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Like this Becca. Stencil are fun. Will be back for more tips. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  40. Stunning card and love the dramatic effect you have created with the chalkboard and the splash of blue.. Many thanks for choosing me to be a GDT for this months challenge. Lou x

    ReplyDelete
  41. I can see why you're in love with this one. Rather partial to texture paste myself. I'm heading home from holiday weekend - on the bus blogging!!! Have a lovely break :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Another fabulous creation. So inventive Bec. Love checking out your work.

    ReplyDelete
  43. OMG you are gonna make me pee my pants. I should space out my visits better. Kim K's butt. LOL! I love the inking over the paste - gotta try! And have fun on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Lovely card thank you for entering our 2015 world wide opened design team challenge Sue DT

    ReplyDelete
  45. Lovely card, Becca, I love how you used the stencil and modeling paste to make this card stand out! So happy you joined in the fun at the colourQ this week.

    ReplyDelete
  46. So pretty and elegant! A fabulous card! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Holy crap, woman! This card is all kinds of amazing!! Love that you embossed OVER the main panel, then selectively colored part of the embossed image! Cool beans! I need to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Fab card ..... love the stenciling in the corner. Thank you for joining in with the Craft Stamper TIMI challenge .... good luck! Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love the blackboard look and the pop of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Fab work, love the texture and colour, thank you for joining us in the Craft Stamper Blog challenge this month, good luck. Nikki K. xx

    ReplyDelete
  51. So artsy and beautiful, Becca! Thanks so much for playing Virginia’s View “All Things Embossed” Challenge! Hope to see your lovely work soon again!

    ReplyDelete
  52. WOW! All together fab design and card, Great job, thanks for playing in our 2015 World Wide Open Design Team Challenge,

    DT Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  53. I love this card! Love the texture & the colors...
    PERFECTION!

    ReplyDelete