Sunday, October 26, 2014

I'm a Daring Diva! ~Birthday Card~

I scored a great deal the other day at an estate sale - a box full of washi tape for a measly ten bucks! Woop! Before this score, I only owned one roll of washi tape and now I have dozens to play around with. If you've never heard of washi tape, it's really a versatile product. You can incorporate it in strips in your design, layer it under card stock, or use it beneath embossing paste. It's also repositionable, so you don't have to worry about getting a perfect line the first time you press it down.

Seize the Birthday (a birthday card themed challenge) has a washi tape topping challenge going on and I wanted to use my tape in a not-so-conventional way. So, I created a pennant banner.



Making a washi tape banner is really simple (except for getting both ends of sticky tape to line up exactly!! Which may have led to me yelling at my roll of tape... which may have led to my boyfriend coming to check if I was ok...) It's the perfect colorful, customizable addition to a cute card. Simply choose a ribbon you like (it also looks really great with twine) and choose the types of washi tape you want to use. Fold a piece of tape over the ribbon, then line up the sides of tape (did I mention, exactly?!). Cut the ends to create pennants, and - voila!

Speaking of challenges that I adore, many of you have heard about my love for STAMPlorations and they have some amazing challenges that anyone can participate in, using any products! I love their stamp aesthetic and the owner, Shery Russ, and her design team are some of the nicest crafters I've encountered on the web. Check out their challenges!!


I'm using this sketch from STAMPloration's latest sketch challenge




I've been meaning to participate in the Diva Dare challenge over at Verve and almost missed it! It ends today at 8 p.m. MT so you still have any eensy bit of time. The lovely stamp sets that I won from a Verve blog hop came in the mail the other day, and I couldn't wait to ink them up! The stamps in this card are from the Verve Big Wish stamp set.

The Diva Dare challenge is all about raising awareness for breast cancer and I'm so happy to go PINK for a great cause!


My boss's birthday is tomorrow, and this little cutie will be sitting on her desk tomorrow morning.

Thank you for stopping by! Please do leave me a comment so I know you've been here and can visit you, too! Your comments make my day!

14 comments:

  1. what a great buy. Lovely card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SCORE!!!
    I am a fan of saying really inappropriate things when supplies don't cooperate. I'm pretty sure I've taught my kids some terrible things that way, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun card!! Really love the washi tape banner and your vellum overlay sentiment too! :) Hugs & Smiles - *Vicki*
    My Blog: Stamp Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun Fun Fun, Becca!! And WOW what a Washi Tape find at the estate sale!! Your boss is going to love this very festive and happy b-day card!! Lucky boss :) XOXO-Shari T.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you! What a great find. Love your card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW...that is a great deal on washi tape!! I am sure your boss loved her card! Thanks for joining us at Seize the Birthday and using the topping option too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your boss will love this, Becca! Great use of the Washi tape! I have a few rolls, but they mostly sit in the drawer--LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. coooll coool coooll Becca I love the idea to make banner from Washi tape it is easier than making with paper to glue it at back side..
    and your boss will smile looking this cutie pie from you
    you are so sweeet
    where do you work dear..I work in an institute as accounting and my BOSS is a man
    I made table tennis card last year cause he love to do that sport...
    hugs, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the washi tape bunting! Thanks so much for playing along at STAMPlorations and Seize The Birthday, and thanks for the birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is adorable :) I like the washi tape banner !! Thank you for sharing with STAMPlorations

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great card and love the pennant

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE you washi tape banner. Sensational card! Thanks so much for playing along at STAMPlorations xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great find with the washi tape! I love the banner you made - I've never thought of that - I've got tons of washi tape and I'm always looking for new ways to use it - thank you! Awesome inspiration here, Becca! Your card is gorgeous and I love the colour combo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a cute card and I love your wash tape banner! Thanks for joining us over at Seize The Birthday and playing along with our topping option :)

    ReplyDelete