Saturday, October 25, 2014

Having Fun with Puns - Belated Birthday Card

First of all, I want to say just how overwhelmed I am by the outpouring of support you all showed on my last blog post. It was an emotional card to make and an emotional blog post to write, but you've shown me, once again, that I am not alone.

Getting back into the crafting studio, I just wanted to make something lighthearted. Time snuck up on me this week and I completely forgot to send out a card for my grandpa's 75th birthday. Woops! 

My design aesthetic really vacillates between distressed/vintage and cute and punny. I have some great frogs...but I don't remember which company they are from (they were a garage sale find). They have some great froggy pun sentiments to go with them:




I used this awesome sketch from My Favorite Things latest sketch challenge.

I cut one-inch squares and stamped a variety of frogs, rearranging their placement with each square. Then I colored them with Spectrum Noir markers and arranged them alternately with some striped green paper. I embossed the saying with white powder and fussy cut another little frog, popping his eyes with some glossy accents.


Lastly, for the inside I used another pun. I think my grandpa will appreciate the humor, considering I've dubbed him the "King of Corn". His jokes are just terrible! For instance, this is one of his favorite:
Who is the most famous knight in Pancake Land? 


The answer to the joke is: Sir Up (Syrup... Get it?)
Like I said... King of Corn. But I love him!

I am also going to enter this into the following challenges:

11 comments:

  1. This is adorable. I LOVE the fun frog stamps and the puns. Fabulous, fabulous card!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the frohg and the punny sentiment!
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca, this is just so cute!! I love the frogs but I love how you used the two papers. It is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just too too cute, Becca! I adore the little peeking froggies and the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! There is no such thing as a pun that's toooooo bad. I love them all! I too have been so very touched by the outpouring of support through comments & even private emails. Thank you again for being brave & giving me the kick in the rear to be brave too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an absolutely delightful card! I love the bright colors and the clever way you arranged the froggies. Excellent job coloring them, too! I enjoyed your post so much and could totally relate when you said your aesthetic vacillates between distressed/vintage and cute and punny. I think it's great that you've got more than one style that you enjoy and in my opinion, a true artist can work with all sorts of looks. You've made a truly lovely card here that made me smile. Thank you so much for sharing it with us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cuuuteee little frog...the coloring is super A ...and nice using the sketch...lovely card Becca...now I try to catch up...I was having no time last week to jump to my friends blog and if my friends made much cards yeah my finger will be ill hihi cause I do type type and type...now already 22:10 in munich...yeah I will sleep maybe at 23:00 lets see how much i must type LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just such a great card and it put a smile on my face. At least you didn't ribbit anything:) (sorry for the pun)

    ReplyDelete